The winds and the waves...

 What is up fam??

I know, I know. You're shocked. Am I breaking the rules?? An email on a Tuesday?
No, no worries friends. I am actually going to the temple today so my p-day got changed to today. It is a little hectic over on my end today, so if I don't get back to any of you, I promise I will next week--it is not for a lack of love!

This week was incredible. Let me tell you the highlights.

We started the week off with interviews with President. It was incredible as per usual. He said something really beautiful that I wanted to pen down.

I got into my interview and President said, "Wow, you're almost done, Sister Miller," and I immediately burst into tears. He smiled and said, "I'm so proud of you." After a pause, he said, "I want you to think about how you feel when your friends have gotten baptized," a smile spread across my face. "Now," he said, "Imagine the joy you'll feel in a delivery room one day. The joy you'll feel cradling the baby that the Lord sent to His precious daughter, Sister Miller. Think of the joy you'll feel watching that sweet baby of yours step into the baptismal font one day. What will that feel like, Sister Miller?"
"Amazing," I whispered.
"Yes, the best is yet to come. I'm so, very, proud of you Sister Miller."
It was a special interaction and one I will never forget. I sure love President.

Later this week, the blessings kept coming.

One thing that was super special was yet another experience on the subway that I had. (I know, you were looking forward to this one!)

I made a goal this week to talk to multiple people on each train ride--which means moving from one person to another--a fairly awkward situation, but the Lord has commanded us to open our mouths and talk with everyone, so I was committed.

One train I got on, I immediately was able to talk and get a man's number. I turned to the person to my left and to my surprise she immediately opened up and we had a beautiful gospel conversation. I was able to get her contact information as well and set up a time to meet with her again. I was amazed. Turning to my right, I was sure that this young man would not be interested in talking to me after seeing me talk with two others, but I held to my resolve and began talking to him. He shared that he was actually on his way to visit his mother who was in the hospital and was about to pass away. I was able to share some hope with him, and he thanked me for my prayers. I got off the train truly grateful for the Lord giving me the opportunity to connect with three beautiful children of God in the span of just 15 minutes. Coming off the train, my heart was full to the brim and I rushed to tell Sister Sadler the good news when all of a sudden a voice called out behind me, "Excuse me!" I turned to see a woman with two children. She started, "I saw you talking with so many people on that train. What service do you offer?" As we began to tell her of our purpose, her eyes lit up. "My kids have been asking me about God, and I don't have all the answers. We would love to study with you sometime." We immediately scheduled a time to meet with this beautiful family and share a message with them about the gospel of Jesus Christ. It was an incredible testimony builder to me that God will "lead you to them or He will lead them to you." I'm grateful that because I chose to talk with everyone on that train that that woman was able to distinguish that we were servants of God and she had the courage to approach us. Please pray for their family: Everis, Adrianna, and Christian.

Later this week, we were on our way to an appointment in person with our friend Yolanda when on the bus I sat next to this incredible woman named Charlene. We began talking and she said, "Hey, I've actually been looking for a church." We read from the Book of Mormon together in 3 Nephi 11. She loved it. We set up a time to meet that night and she excitedly texted me throughout the day, counting down the hours till our call.

When we got on our call, Sister Sadler and I didn't know exactly what to expect, but what unfolded was beyond our farthest expectation. She began by asking about what health code we follow in the church. We taught her the word of wisdom and she immediately accepted. She then asked us of our view on family and we taught her the law of chastity, which she also accepted. Sister Sadler and I were flabbergasted. She was absolutely incredible and prepared by the Lord in every way. She came to church and loved it. This week, we will extend a baptismal date to Charlene--please pray that goes well. I'm so glad that I met her on the bus that day. Yolanda, our original appointment earlier that morning, ended up canceling. But I know the Lord needed us on that bus that day at that time so we could meet Charlene. There was no coincidence.

We had a crazy story y'all will love. We went knocking and had a blast. Doors slammed at every opportunity. "I'm Jewish" came most responses, filled in with several choice words. We finally got in a door, only to teach a Russian couple, in their underwear. They understood little English, and I understood little Russian. We left with not much accomplished. We had to get going and we zoomed down the stairs, not having gotten any contact information or return appointments during the whole session. Sister Sadler stopped in her tracks as I kept zooming down the stairs. She put a pass-along card in a door and off we went. We didn't think much of it, until later that night we got a call from a young man named Joseph. "Hi, I got your card and I'd like to come to church!" Ummm what? We had almost forgotten. That "hogwash" knocking experience was not all for nothing. The Lord had led us to someone who was prepared, even if we hadn't knocked on their door. We set up a time to meet and he's coming to church next week! Miracles!!

There is a sad story I did want to share, with the hope that each of you will say a prayer for my friend. In another train contact, I was speaking with a man named Harry. I had just been rejected by someone in the most cruel way and I was struggling to bring up the gospel with Harry because of the pang of fear of rejection like I had just experienced. When I finally did, Harry opened up and said he wanted to believe in God and that his girlfriend had actually just passed away a month ago in his arms. And then the train came to a stop. Before I could blink, Harry had stepped off the train to run and catch the next subway. I ran after him but to no avail. My heartfelt as though it had been shattered. I had not brought up the gospel soon enough, and I had missed this precious opportunity to share hope with a child of God in such desperate need. The pain I felt was deep and real. I cried in the train station that day, and the day after, and even as I write this, I say a silent prayer for my friend Harry to find the gospel of Jesus Christ in some other way. Please, please add your prayers to mine.

For my spiritual thought, I wanted to share a thought I've been having recently. I've been reading in the book of Ether in the Book of Mormon and I've been impressed with a promise from the Lord. The people have to build boats to get to their promised land and travel a raging sea to get where they need to be. Listen carefully to what He says.

"For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain, waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth."

The Lord doesn't shield them from the waves and the wind, in fact, He tells them that He has sent it forth. The winds and the waves are a necessary part of their journey. Ultimately, it will be a reason that they get to their promised land--it will push them closer and closer. What a beautiful image that is to me. As I read that this week, I had the desire to be more grateful for my own personal "waves" and "winds." The Lord is blowing me forth to my own promised land as quick as He can get me there. I should and can trust His mighty hand. I love the Lord's promise. Yes, these trials will come, but, "Nevertheless, I will bring you up again."
He always does. We can count on it 100/100 times. So if you feel broken and wonder if you'll ever be able to rise back up again, your answer is yes. He will bring you up, He has promised to do so. 

I sure love you all.
The church is true.

Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.
Love,
Sister Miller 










Comments

Popular Posts