BECOME A WRIGGLER (ps, let's make that a word)

 AHHHH ANOTHER WEEK COME AND GONE! I can't believe it. This week was incredible. Let me hit you with the highlights.


This week we started it off strong with an exchange. I got to go back to my birthplace: The Upper East Side.

On our way over there, I saw a young man in the subway station that I felt I needed to talk to. I approached this young man and began talking to him. I brought up the Book of Mormon and he stopped me. "I read that book before the pandemic, but I never saw the boys after that!" We set up an appointment, and he excitedly gave me his number. It was SO exciting!! We love Jean. Keep him in your prayers, please.

THEN THE FUN STUFF REALLY BEGAN!
Sister Likiliki and I started out by looking at all the formers. We made a list of people to reach out to, people I love and felt might be ready to receive the gospel. All of a sudden, a name jumped out at me on the list. Miriam.

My mind flashed back to just about a year ago when I contacted her for the first time. What happened to her?? That sweet old lady was one of my favorite people. I grabbed Sister Likiliki by the arm and we marched out the front door to go to Miriam's house.

What happened next put me in tears. We knocked on her door and the door swung open. On the other end was my dear friend. She ran into my open arms and began to cry. "Where have you been? I thought you left New York!!" My heart burst. I hugged this old woman tightly. She said, "I was waiting on my big print Book of Mormon!!" I felt so sad that my friend had been waiting all this time with no contact from the missionaries. (Because of the pandemic, the missionaries worried about going to her house, and because of that--she wasn't contacted.) I grabbed her phone and downloaded the Book of Mormon app. Her eyes filled up with tears as I made the font bigger. She said: "I can read it now, what a miracle." After teaching the restoration, I asked if I could get a picture with her. She agreed, but all she did was squeeze me in yet another big hug (see the picture down below). This was honestly one of the biggest tender mercies of my mission experience. I got to go back, find one of Christ's lost sheep, and restore her to the fold. Oh how I love my sweet Miriam.

The rest of the exchange was fairly normal. Sister Likiliki and I chatted about old times. I felt like a child on Christmas, taking her around my old area. I pointed out restaurants and fruit stands and doormen to wave at. I showed her all the things. Boy oh boy, it was a wonderful experience.

Later this week, we had our November Zone Conference. It was my last one. President announced it over the pulpit a few times saying things like, "Maybe you should ask Sister Miller, she's old and can help with that." Haha. It was surreal, and I can't believe that I'm here at the end of it all. I was able to give my departing testimony at the end of Zone Conference. I didn't plan anything nor did I know what to say. But as I stood, the testimony that came forth was that of love of my Savior and His divine gospel of Jesus Christ. His message is one of salvation and hope to all who will believe on His name and follow Him. What a glorious truth that is. I know Him. I know my Savior more than I ever have before. I love Him, now and forever. There's not much else that matters beyond that.

Later this week, we experienced countless miracles. One that I want to share is about our friend, Nicole. We have been teaching her for a few weeks. She is on date for November 20th. We taught her the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity this week. She accepted both. Please pray for her. She is progressing but has been facing a lot of opposition. We know that the adversary is aware of her desire to come closer to God by making a promise with God. Please keep her in your prayers.

On Sunday, we had a few of our friends come to church, but a few that cancelled. We were sad that we didn't hit our goals, but we knew we gave our best effort. At the end of church, we walked downstairs only to overhear a conversation in the lobby. "We are looking for a church..." Sister Rasband ran over before we could blink. It was a couple living here in Manhattan. They had just come to church and were curious to know more. We set up an appointment and thanked them for coming. It was a miracle. They are ready to receive more light and truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I feel it deep in my bones. Please pray for them as well. Because they were at church, we actually ended up meeting out goals--what a wonderful miracle from the Lord! 

I know, you've been waiting for my weekly subway story. Here it is haha!

One night, the subways were delayed. No one was in the station, except this young man who walked all the way down to the end and sat at a bench. I felt like I should go talk to him, but it was extremely awkward walking after him the whole way. BUT awkward is nothing to hold back Sister Miller. So off I went. I began talking with Joseph and the conversation was wonderful. Before I knew it, we were knee deep in the gospel. I gave him a Book of Mormon, which he held tightly in his arms. His eyes filled up with tears as I bore my testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon. It was incredible. I got his number and set up an appointment. He lives in the Bronx, but is eager to go to church and to learn more. I am so excited to have met Joseph. Right as I was about to leave, I said something to him--words that I can't even remember. He stopped me. "Wait, those were my mother's last words to me." Tears filled his eyes. He said, "There really are no coincidences." It was a tender mercy for sure. I sure love Joseph.

As you can see, the miracles are overflowing. It has been an incredible adventure. I know that angels attend to us and watch over us.

For my spiritual thought I wanted to share a verse from 1 Nephi 7.
Nephi has always been a hero of mine, but this week, even more so. He has a tough family life, yet he always comes out on top because of his faith in the Lord. At one point, his brothers go psycho and decide that they are going to kill him. They tie him up and Nephi begins to pray. This is what happens next. "O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my brethren; yea, even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound."

He prays for strength! He asks the Lord to help him. What stood out to me though was what happened next, "And it came to pass that when I had said these words, behold, the bands were loosed from off my hands and feet." How would he know that the bands were loosed unless Nephi was wriggling around in those bands? Nephi was doing everything within his power to break free. 

As I read this, I thought about our own lives. Sometimes, we pray and wait for things to improve. We wait on the Lord, waiting for everything to change and get better when maybe the Lord is answering our prayers, but answering them outside the box. We might need to wriggle around a little bit more. He is loosening bands and opening doors. I am so grateful for the example of Nephi in being a wriggler. I hope to be a wriggler like Him. After all, our prophet has taught us that the Lord loves effort.

I love you all. The church is true.

Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.
LOVE,
SISTA MILLA 








Comments

Popular Posts