Dear World, I love Brooklyn!!!

Dear world,

I love Brooklyn. Bye!

JUST KIDDING but also not!
I love it here so much. I feel so blessed. This week we have seen countless miracles, I don't know where to begin. Media referrals rain from the sky here in BK 4. We have person after person requesting US! I have never experienced this in my whole mission, but oh how grateful I am.

Sister Patterson is literally the cutest person I've ever met. She is the brightest ray of sunshine and absolutely an amazing teacher. She has the gospel deep in her heart. President told me I would be training, but honestly, she is just training me! I can't believe how close we have gotten in just a few short days.

Friday night, we got a call from the President. (That always makes my stomach drop.)
"Hello?"
"Sister Patterson, I have news."
Sister Patterson immediately starts crying. "I don't want to President, no!"
I look back and forth from the phone to Sister Patterson, realizing I'm missing something big.
"Yes, your visa is ready. I got the news that you'll be flying out to Thailand on September 30th."
Wow. We were shocked. All the emotions hit us like a train. How could we be split apart after only being companions for a week and already being BEST friends? It didn't make sense. We cried and we laughed and we ate some Mexican food, realizing that she won't be having much of that in a few short weeks. I sure love this sweet companion of mine, and I know she will knock the socks off of the people in Thailand. Until then, we are going to party hard!
I love Sister Patterson!!

This week we were able to put 5 friends on baptism date! How exciting!!! If you can keep Pedrin, Joseph, Kia, Edilma, and Shayla in your prayers, we would appreciate it. We had so many special experiences with each of these friends.

We felt like we needed to teach Shayla about the law of chastity last night, so we did! Before we began, we were a little nervous about how she would take it. But we were amazed as the spirit testified to her of the importance of eternal families bound together in a special covenant that can only be entered in the temple. She proceeded to tell us why she knew that she couldn't sacrifice her virtue for anything. We were amazed. We love Shayla.

I wanted to share one brief experience from this Saturday that meant a lot to me. We recently had contacted a very less active family--the Islas. We went over to their house on Saturday to share a message with them. We read from the Book of Mormon about the Tree of Life with their family. The spirit entered with great force as we discussed the importance of clinging to the rod of iron that leads us to the tree--Jesus Christ. Tears rolled down the mother's face as she looked around at her little family. She cried as she felt the influence of the spirit. I looked at their father who was also in tears. The mother began, "I want to change. I want to come back. I want this for my kids. I just need to learn how to forgive." We talked about how the Savior can help us overcome all the baggage that we so often carry and testified to her that through the Atonement, she could overcome even this most painful experience. His grace is sufficient. We are trying to help their family and in so doing, also help their son--who has not yet been baptized--be able to receive that ordinance. Could you please pray for the Islas by name? As we left their house that night, my heart connected with this family. I felt a special love for each of them. I believe that in part, some of my reason for being here in Brooklyn is to help this special family and invite them to come back to the fold. It is never too late for any of us. There is always room in the Savior's inn for each of us.

I wanted to share ONE last experience. We were subway contacting this week, something a little new to me, which can still be a little nerve-racking. I got on the subway and began talking with a lady who was not interested at all. I tried several things, to no avail. I felt flushed, and a little embarrassed. Most of the attention in the train car seemed to be on me: the one individual who was speaking at all. I knew that I should get up and speak to someone else, but my heart was banging in my chest as I looked around the train car. I said a silent prayer for courage to get up and move. I needed to talk to someone else. Who?

I opened my eyes and saw a woman sitting with her son just a few seats away. I prayed once more and found that my feet began shuffling me across the train car. I plopped down next to them and began a conversation with Cassie and her son Jamie about the gospel of Jesus Christ and the blessing it has been in my life. Cassie immediately asked if we could study together sometime and I was able to get her phone number. As we waved goodbye at the next stop, I said yet one more prayer. This time, in gratitude. The Lord had given me the courage I so desperately needed to share the gospel and because of it, a family was able to get closer to Jesus Christ. I am grateful that God continues to work through me, a flawed instrument, but one who is willing to be molded in His hands. I love Him for it.

For my spiritual thought, I wanted to share a favorite story of mine from the Pearl of Great Price. This story has helped me through some hard parts of my mission and I realized that I never sent it to you all! Let me tell you the story of Enoch. He is not talked about enough. He was a regular old guy, like you and me. Was he popular? He would beg to differ. Yet, the Lord calls him to be a prophet. He is FLABBERGASTED. He is terrified. He comes to the Lord and begins to state all the reasons why he shouldn't be the one picked to do this job: he's underqualified, he is not the best speaker, and to top it all off, "the people hate me!"

Raise your hand if you have ever related to this small list of struggles/ weaknesses. DING DING DING, that's definitely me. But I love our Savior's response to this fearful cry. Listen to what He says: "Behold my Spirit is upon you, wherefore all thy words will I justify; and the mountains shall flee before you, and the rivers shall turn from their course; and thou shalt abide in me, and I in you; therefore walk WITH me" (See Moses 6:34, emphasis added). I love the Lord's response. He doesn't immediately discount all of the weaknesses that Enoch points out, He just says, I WILL BE WITH YOU. And that's enough. So off Enoch goes to preach the gospel. What is the result?

"And it came to pass when they heard him, no man laid hands on him; for fear came on all them that heard him; for he walked with God" (Verse 39). He walked with God, and He could not be overpowered. Thousands were eventually led to the truth.

This scripture series has made a world of difference for me as I have served my mission. There are times I feel inadequate and weak, but the Savior comes to me in those moments, promising me that He will be with me. He invites me to WALK WITH HIM, and all will be made right. I am so grateful for His grace in my life.
Whether you are a missionary, a busy mom, a tired dad, a lonely high-schooler, feeling bitter towards the world, or maybe even just a little exhausted with your own seemingly monotonous routine, the Lord's invitation is the same.
"Walk with Me".

I hope we walk with Him every day. In Him, we will find rest. We will find strength. We will find purpose, renewal, hope, and peace. We will discover who we really are.

I love you all. The gospel is so very true.

Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.

Love,
Sista Miller 







--

--
Sister Hailey Miller

Comments

Popular Posts