Becoming His Angels

Welcome back to another week with Sister Miller!! 

So much has happened; honestly, it is hard to believe that it has only been one week since we last talked. I'll just jump on in!! 

This week, it snowed BUCKETS. It was so magical to wander through the city covered in a white blanket. See pictures below. Sister Johnson had only seen snow a few times before, so it was amazing to watch her take it all in. She looked like a child on Christmas morning!! It reminded me that happiness is really all about the little things. We can go through life only looking for big moments of happiness and miss out on a lot of opportunities to laugh, smile, and enjoy the small tender mercies God gives us every day. God gave manna to the Israelites, and I'm convinced He gives manna to us today. I recently started my own "manna from heaven" journal, and it is so cool to see His hand in the little things every single day!! 

In other news, BRIANA is getting baptized next Sunday!! She is soo ready and shines so brightly. The week before baptism can be so hard, so please pray for our girl Briana. We are so excited to see her make covenants with God and receive the gift of His Spirit!! Please send prayers for her. 

In other news, I have a kinda cool story to share about our new friend Miriam. On Friday night, Sister Johnson and I were calling formers and we had the distinct impression to call Miriam. So we did!! On the other end of the line, we found a woman who has been through a lot in the past several years. She immediately began crying as we explained what we do, and how we help people. She then shared that she had been praying for someone to come and share some hope with her. Tears came to my eyes as I listened to sweet Miriam. 

Last night, we were able to go over to her house and share a message with her. When we helped her download zoom so she could join church, she jumped up and down and squeezed me tightly in a hug. "THANK YOU, my beloved angels," she said excitedly. Love just filled my heart. I'm so grateful that I'm here on a mission right now. This is why I'm here. When I think about the Savior's mission, these are the kind of experiences that He focused on. Lifting the weary, healing the sick, bringing hope to the discouraged, listening to the burdened, and ultimately bringing light into the world. It was wonderful to be able to see that as a missionary, I have the opportunity to stand side by side with my Savior. 

We are also teaching Tierra who is preparing for baptism on the 3rd of January!! SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add her to your prayers as well. I've always been convinced my mama is an angel, but this week she worked some real miracles. Tierra was struggling with one of the commandments, and on P-day I was telling my sweet mother about it and she was like: "Well, I could talk to her about it!" The Spirit confirmed to me that this was a good idea and so I gave my sweet mother her phone number. WITHIN A FEW DAYS, Tierra had accepted the commandment, bore her testimony of it, and asked if she could still be baptized on the third of January. Of course, we said yes!! But a major shoutout to my mom, who is an amazing teacher and friend for our girl Tierra. Love you mom. 

For my spiritual thought today I wanted to share about Jesus Christ since it is Christmas this week!! 

My testimony of the Savior has grown dramatically over the past 6 months of being a missionary. My love for Him can feel overwhelming at times. He took upon Him not only the sins of the world, but the sicknesses, heartaches, pains, and infirmities of it too. Not only did He do it for the world, but just for me individually. He suffered then, so He can succor now. It is hard to put into words how I feel. But there is a quote I read by Neal A Maxwell this week I want to share: "I testify that He is utterly incomparable in what He is, what He knows, what He has accomplished, and what He has experienced. Yet, movingly, He calls us His friends. He rejoices in our genuine goodness and achievement, but any assessment of where we stand in relation to Him tells us that we do not stand at all! We kneel!" That is how I feel about Jesus Christ. In such awe, I cannot but kneel in reverence of Him and His divine mission. That babe born 2000 years ago brought the light of hope into this world. He came to save the souls of each person if they will have Him to be their Savior. 

At Zone Conference this week, Sister Teuscher said something that really stood out to me. She said, "There is hope at Christmas because the road from Bethlehem does, in fact, lead to Golgotha." This Christmas, I give thanks to my Savior, Jesus Christ. For all He did, all He sacrificed, and all He is today. "I marvel that He would descend from His throne divine, to rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine. That He would extend His great love unto such as I, Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify. Oh, it is wonderful that He should care for me, enough to die for me." I love my Savior. I know He lives, and He really does love us. 

Merry ALMOST Christmas everyone. :)

The church is true. 
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart. 
Love,
Sister Miller 

1-2) Snowing in the city :) 
3) Silly Sister Johnson haha!!
4)Traveling in The City.
5-6) Our Girl Tierra
7) Me and my temple!
8) Our dear new friend Miriam 

Sister Hailey Miller











Hailey Bay,

It’s been great talking to you so much this week. I don’t have a ton to share. We came home from Hawaii to talk to you and then we enjoyed a quiet Christmas at home. The kids slept in until 10. That’s the latest we’ve ever slept on Christmas morning. Dad and I were grateful. We needed the sleep. Our bodies are messed up with times. We think it’s Hawaii time still.


It was so nice to watch your baptism this week. I was so touched by the spirit. We couldn’t hear but the spirit was still so strong. I kept thinking that the spirit doesn’t need words to communicate. It was kinda a cool thought.

Last night we came to the cabin to spend a few days. We are trying to stay away from people so we can be sure to make it to your endowment. We are pretty much quarantining again. I am kinda sick of Covid. But, I’m still trying to have a good attitude about it though.

We love you so much! We pray for you every day.

Amber said she wants to go on a mission yesterday but she doesn’t know if she can say goodbye to us. I told her her heart will change. It takes time. We said that sometimes the Lord needs time to work on us.

Love you. 

Love, Mom



Dearest Hailey,

 

You are indeed an inspiration and blessing to Jolene and I. Your letter made me cry tears of joy for what you and the Lord are doing in New York.  I put your story of Miriam in my journal to remind me what two people can do if one of them is God. We love and pray for your protection and guidance every night. I forward your letters to Ava every week.

 

I continue to watch how God guides our lives to make us more than we could be alone and how He helps us become like His son.  Sunday Jolene and I met with the entire stake presidency.  It is always worrisome to be asked to meet with even one member of the presidency.  When we were invited into the office all three members were there.  I instantly became concerned.  You see I love my calling as ward mission leader.

 

There was no worthiness interview.  The call was extended to be a transient Bishop.  That call never entered my mind but then I thought what a blessing to actually act for the Savior in helping those in dire need.  The lessons and opportunities just keep blessing our lives.

 

Serving the Lord as a missionary is a spiritual graduate school.  You are allowed to consecrate all your time and talents to the Lord.  This allows Him to bless you in ways not possible without this covenant.  A mission experience proves that God loves you and he lets us experience that same love to others.  He will change your life and so many others He helps you to find.  Developing an eternal relationship with God and His Son will bring mortal and eternal blessings.  As our relationship with the Holy Ghost grows, we more readily see God working in our lives.  This life is indeed a  great adventure and you get to be a Captain Moroni (Alma 48:17-20).  Pay special attention to the first phrase of verse 20, this is Hailey Miller.

 

You will probably never know the difference you will make in the lives of those God sends you to touch as you represent His Son.  You can, however, understand how He is directing your life. Thank you for your worthy example and inspiration for us all. We sure do love you.

 

Gpa M

 



Hailey, this time of the year when we think about gifts, I was thinking about gifts of the Spirit.  Who are they given to? And why are they given?  I would have told you that I do not have any.  But this time when I studied in Come follow me, I do understand more—spiritual gifts are for everyone.  Perhaps it was prepared in the pre-existence but I think Heavenly Father makes us work for them.  It has taken me a lifetime to figure out all the things you already know. You are a spiritual giant.  Heavenly Father must really trust you to have these opportunities to teach, love, guide, and encourage His children.  What a terrific young woman you are.  God bless you.

We will always pray for you.  We pray that this virus will go away and we can go and do as we desire.  You are a blessing to us and all of our family.  We love and appreciate your letters.  Take care and be safe!!  Love you!

 

Gramma Jo




Sister Miller,

I hope you have a Merry Christmas! I wanted to share a Christmas thought with you as you serve away from your family this Christmas season.

In December of 2000, I was a young father. I had a 5-year-old son and a 6-month-old baby. My wife and I were living in Falcon Heights, MN (a suburb of St. Paul). I was working at the University of Minnesota and I had recently accepted a job at the University of Idaho. The preparations to move were costly and we had spent all the money we had and most of the credit available on our credit card.

 

One afternoon, Shaura sent me to the store to purchase some much-needed diapers and formula, along with some other necessities. Despite being short on money, we were sure we had enough to buy these needed items. I gathered up my purchases and approached the checkout stand. The store was busy and the lines were long. When it was finally my turn, the checker rang up the total and I provided my credit card. The card was not accepted! I felt so embarrassed! I was sure I had enough credit still on the card – I couldn’t believe it didn’t work.

 

I looked over the pile on the belt, trying to decide what I didn’t need. However, none of the items were frivolous. I was offering a silent prayer, seeking a solution to the problem. And then the lady just behind me in line handed the cashier some cash. Now I felt even more embarrassed! But this was an answer to my prayer! After gathering up my bags I waited for the lady to finish her transaction. I then asked if I could get her address in order to pay her back.

 

She simply smiled and said, “No. Have a Merry Christmas!”

 

I was so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who answered my prayer through another person – a person I didn’t know. I have reflected on this story a lot this Christmas season. As I have done this, I was reminded of two thoughts from the October General Conference.

 

First, from Sis. Michelle Craig:

“Jesus Christ sees people deeply. He sees individuals, their needs, and who they can become. Where others saw fishermen, sinners, or publicans, Jesus saw disciples; where others saw a man possessed by devils, Jesus looked past the outward distress, acknowledged the man, and healed him.

Even in our busy lives, we can follow the example of Jesus and see individuals—their needs, their faith, their struggle, and who they can become.” (Eyes to See, October 2020 General Conference)

 

Second, from Elder Carlos Godoy:

“Brothers and sisters, would you be willing to be an instrument in the Lord’s hands? Would you be willing to be one of these angels? To be an emissary, sent from God, from this side of the veil, for someone He is worried about? He needs you. They need you.” (I Believe in Angels, October 2020 General Conference)

 

Thank you for your service as a full-time missionary! You are an angel bringing the hope of salvation to a weary world in dire need.

 

Merry Christmas!

 

Love, Uncle Jeff




 


Comments

Popular Posts