Why Weepest Thou

ALOHA!!

How are you all doing? I sure love you all and I am grateful for each and every one of you! 

I have so many miracles and experiences to share so let's jump on in! 

First off, it was transfer calls this week! DRUMROLL PLEASE! 

I will be staying here on the Upper East Side for another 6 weeks! Hallelujah! I love it here, and I can't wait to be able to experience Christmas in the city with the one and only Sister Johnson. It was the best news. 
However, the night of transfer calls, I received another call from President Teuscher. I was literally shaking like a leaf as I answered. For me, when the President calls there are only 2 possibilities that go through my head: 1) I am about to be asked to do something terribly hard, or 2) someone died. Yup, very logical stuff. Well, I happened to be right, because the President was calling with the number one type of situation. He asked me if I would be willing to serve as an STL (Sister Training Leader) in the South Manhattan Zone. My heart pounded as I thought about what it would all entail. On one hand, I felt so privileged that the President felt I was up for the challenge; on the other hand, I am so nervous...  I will have the wonderful opportunity to learn from all the sisters in the South Manhattan Zone. Please pray for me as I try to fill this assignment to the best of my capability!

This week we also got some amazing news. Several weeks ago, I posted a story on my Facebook asking if anyone wanted a free Bible. From that story, I ended up giving out 10 referrals to different areas in the mission! Fast forward to this week. I was worrying if I was making an impact when all of a sudden we got a text from some of the sisters we gave a referral to. The text read: "SISTERS, we totally forgot to tell you but thank you so much for your dedication and hard work on Facebook. Because of that story, you posted our good friend Daniel is preparing for baptism on the 11th of December. #noeffortwasted." That text was a sign to me that what I do really does matter. Small as it may be, I am forever grateful that I was able to post that one story, that led to that one Bible study, that led to a very special testimony and conversion to Jesus Christ and His gospel. It was so small but so important!!

This week we did lots of good services. We enjoyed another opportunity to serve at WSCAH, which was especially neat because it was an all-hands-on-deck experience in preparation for Thanksgiving. We also had the opportunity to serve at our ward's yearly pie night. Yes, a pie night. Every member of the ward practically made or bought pies of all shapes and sizes and smells. Ward members gathered socially distanced and had a pie tasting. It was honestly so fun to see the ward together, laughing and enjoying the night. I was glad I was able to help out a little bit with that.

We had one other miracle I have to share. Sister Johnson and I went to Central Park yesterday to film a video for Facebook. On our way back to the church there was a woman at the door on the phone. As we approached she gestured to inside and pointed at us. We opened the door for her, understanding she wanted to have a conversation. She then hung up the phone and looked directly into our eyes. She said, "Tell me about your church." My jaw might have hit the floor. We immediately began talking and gave her a brief chapel tour. She committed to coming to church and asked if we could meet with her before then. I know what you are thinking--this is a straight miracle. As we walked Christelle to the door, love filled my heart. She had found our church building because it looked similar to the one she loved back home in Congo. What were the odds of her finding a church in NYC that reminded her of home? I couldn't help but feel the loving arms of the Savior pull me close and remind me that this is HIS work, and He's got this. I am so excited to work with Christelle and get to know her more this week. 

Besides that, this week was filled with the usual things that we always love! We saw a man carrying a mannequin in a plastic bag, as well as two women screaming at each other in the subway--they were fighting over who loved the other person more--and we enjoyed adding a few more tally marks to our ever-increasing rat count. (It is at 33 for those of you who are wondering.) We also spent a lot of time finding and teaching which is my favorite thing in the history of ever. I feel so blessed to be able to serve. In the words of David A Bednar: "This really is no sacrifice. This is your greatest blessing." Amen. Boy, do I feel blessed to serve. 

In closing, I just wanted to share a cool experience I had a few weeks back that I felt prompted to put in this email and so I hope it helps one of you in the way it helped me.

My journal entry reads:

"This last week I was having a hard time. I felt especially distanced from God and I couldn't figure out why the heavens seemed closed. I could feel the Spirit guide me in lessons but I was frustrated because I wasn't feeling it for myself. Why?? Where was God when I was doing my best to do His will?

It got to the point that during one of my personal studies I just started crying. I was so frustrated that I felt so alone and distanced from God. I kinda said a frustrated prayer. I said, "Heavenly Father, where are you? Why don't I feel you?" And at that moment, a bible story came to my mind.

"Woman, why weepest thou?" And at that moment I felt exactly like Mary Magdalene at the empty tomb, searching for Jesus. In my head, I said the words, "Because they have taken my Lord. And I know not where He is." Tears flowed from my eyes as one word came powerfully to my mind: "Hailey." It was then that I felt the way Nephi described in 2 Nephi 1:15. "I have beheld His glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the arms of His love."

I cried for quite a while as I felt the love of Jesus Christ be right there with me, in my bedroom, on a day like any other. It was then that I was reminded that even if He is not in the tomb where I thought He would be, He is still ever-present. Ever powerful. Ever understanding of me.

And while I may not feel Him always, I know He is there."

I know that is true. Even on the hard days, He is there. Even in the good times, He is there. It reminds me of a primary song we all know well: "Heavenly Father, are you really there? And do you hear and answer every child's prayer? Some say that heaven is far away, but I feel it close around me as I pray. Pray, He is there. Speak, He is listening. You are His child, His love now surrounds you." 

Wherever we may be in life, His love is there and is as constant as the North Star. He loves you with a perfect love, of that I am sure.

In closing, if you could please pray for Brianna as she prepares for baptism, Emma and Marvins (the two kids we are teaching), Sybella, and Natassia. Also, if you could add our dear friend, Roger, who moved this week. Pray that he will connect well with his new area and his new missionaries! Thank you so much for the prayers! I know they help so so much!!

The church is true my friends.
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.
Love always,
Sister Miller

P.S. I got the best news EVER this week! My parents have been invited to come to my Endowment in Connecticut in January. I can't even type my excitement. So many prayers have been answered!!!

Sister Hailey Miller

1-2) Me @ The Empire State Building
3) WSCAH- West Side Campaign Against Hunger Service Day
4) Bread Enough Said...
5) Me and Sister Johnson
6) Central Park
7-11) Empire State Building 
















Dear Sister Miller,

My goodness, the weeks are going by so quickly.  It seems like just yesterday I was being uplifted by your words and your spirit.  Thank you, thank you, and thank you some more.  I have to start off with telling you a family funny mostly because it involves your grandma, grandpa, and cousin Eric.

As you know my brother Roger had died on November 9th. There was some discussion as to where to have him buried.  His sweet companion agreed to have his ashes shipped to Idaho to have him laid to rest near grandma and grandpa Dawson.  Well, it took a couple of weeks before the ashes were sent, but they finally were delivered in a paper box.  When he came Cheryl placed him on the bookshelf.  When Eric came by he made a sign that said something like. “Here we find, Roger on the Shelf”  When I read that I burst out laughing because most people, this time of year have an Elf on the Shelf.  Not our family - we have a “Roger on the Shelf”  Grandpa Elkington didn’t like having him looking at her all day so she moved him to the garage, Elkington didn’t think that was appropriate. The Scrooge.  Anyway, he found a great medal case, which happened to be a case for gun ammunition that will seal shut and not let any moisture in.  Leave it to Grandpa Keith to come up with an inexpensive way to take care of things. They got permission from the cemetery to bury this box next to Grandma Dawson in Ammon cemetery.  I think Roger is probably thinking, “Wait a minute you move me from a nice warm room, to the cold garage to the even colder ground, what’s with this?" Actually, I think he is touched that we care so much about him.  

I was so excited that you would still be in NY for all the Christmas festivities.  I understand it turns into a magical place. The Lord does know what is most important and although you won’t be there you will see the magical things that can happen because you are faithful and obedient.  You will be awesome to be an STL. Just think what you just learned about knowing that the Savior is always there for us.  We have to have those experiences so that we find ourselves and find the Savior even more.  You will meet sisters who have not yet found things about themselves that they need to.   Share your experience so that when they have those experiences they can remember, Hey Sister Miller had this happen, and look she made it through it.  

That is so awesome about you sharing the Bible and seeing some results.  So many times we don’t see the results of what we have done.  Years ago I was a young women leader and I had a girl in my Laurel class that was pretty difficult to get along with.  I had to pray for her all the time and that I would always be kind to her even when she wasn’t to me.  I must say I was very happy when she graduated.  Fast forward several years later.  I get a note from her saying that I was the only reason that she attended church.  I am so glad that my little act of kindness kept her coming.  She is now a mother of 2 and very happy.  That is a true miracle. 

Sister Miller, I will continue to pray for you each day.  I will now have to remember to say in the South Manhattan Zone.  I ask you to also continue to pray for me.  This radiation treatment isn’t fun and I have been pretty sick.  They pretty much fried my inners and so now I can’t eat anything too solid or even drink.  That being said, every couple of days I have to go to the clinic and get reheated.  It’s not all bad because they give me nausea medicine and pain meds while they are hydrating me and I get a very good 4-hour nap.  The care workers there are just amazing people and I have had good conversations with them.  

Well take care and God Bless,

Love,

Aunt Cindy



Hailey, all is well here and we love you and all that you’re doing, and congratulations on your new calling. You will be amazing. We buried Uncle Rogers’s ashes with Grandma Dawson's grave today. It was cold and windy and grandpa and Eric dedicated the gravesite. It was good to have his ashes here so he could be buried with family. Everything here is going fine I’m getting ready for Thanksgiving even though FAMILY can’t come and be with us, extended family anyway. Layne and Sheri and their families will be here having Thanksgiving with us, but they’re here every day having dinner with us anyway. I am so grateful for the gospel in my life and the missionaries that taught me the gospel so many years ago. It’s great to know that we have an eternal family because of their efforts. You are changing people's lives for eternity. They may not know it now but what you’re teaching them will guide their lives forever. 
Love, Gramma, and Gramps



This week has been pretty uneventful. I’m missing you like crazy. I made a new pie for thanksgiving. It was chocolate. It was good but only ok. We had turkey. And I feel like we barely ate anything. Anyway. I love you lots. I hope you got your dinner. Mom had an alarm in her phone to call the place but it didn’t go off so we had a mini panic attack when we found out. We are all praying like crazy that it worked out and you got your food. We want to talk to you. Hopefully, we can soon!! I love you!! I miss you!! You are the coolest person I know!!
Love you goodnight!
Amber



Hey there!

I sure love you! And I am praying for you! Things are going well here. We’ve had a few open conversations with Jake and Amber about Jake’s twitches and what we can do as a family. We are trying to work together. His twitches have increased drastically this well. This makes me feel bad because he should have no stress here at all. My only thought is that it could be Nintendo or sleep. Which, only makes him feel like he is being punished. Trying to find a balance is tricky, but I think as I keep reminding him that we love him and we are trying to help him, he seems to understand. I wish I knew exactly what to do. And as I type that, I hear it that God does. So, I’ll just keep trusting and working on helping him. And God will provide. Pray that we find some answers and that Jake will feel our love and support.

I finished chapter 5 this week in my book. I sent it to Jill to be read. I really need feedback. I tried to give the bare minimum as to the situation surrounding Bishop Lowry but still enough that the point would be heard or understood. I’m not sure what to write now. I am thinking that the faith of a child needs to come to the end and it needs to be revamped a bit. I may work on that last. I don’t know how to access what you did for me before. I’m sure I’ll figure it out.

I am tempted to send you chapter 5 but I’m not sure if you’ll have time to read anyway. I thought that what I gave a talk on just recently could go with some chapter on Covid...

Just thoughts.

Well, we’ve been able to chat this week, so you know most of our happenings. I’m glad your Thanksgiving was good. I prayed for that. And I am so glad you had a full-on meal. So grateful. Part of your Christmas present from us will be a dinner on Christmas too. I will order early so we can get it to the one close to your house.

Love you lots!

Love, Mom




Hi Sister Miller,

 

It was so good to talk to you this week on Thanksgiving.  I know I had a lot to be grateful for.  How about you?  You are right, we should be listening to Christmas music right now. 

 

Just as a side note, why is “grateful” not spelled “grateful”?  That is messed up.

 

Well, we have fully embraced Christmas around here.  I tried to hold off until close to Thanksgiving, but it was a seriously losing battle.  Your mom bought the Hallmark Channel app and her and Amber sit around watching Christmas movies every night.  It is kind of torturous.  If you have seen one, you have seen them all. And don’t comment on the obviously repetitive plot or predict what will happen 5 minutes in.  That will get you in trouble.  I know.  Everyone one of those shows is sent in New York and we always comment on how that is where you are.

 

We put the tree up for mom the week before Christmas because she was ready to cry over it.  She just needed a little Christmas.  Thanksgiving stuff was up too, but now the Thanksgiving décor is gone. We are 100% Christmas.  I admit listening to the Christmas radio station starting the week before Thanksgiving, but I was keeping it on the down-low.  Playing it quiet and not singing along in the car.  On Saturday I took the garbage at the cabin down to Pine and listened to Christmas music on full blast there any back.  You can't look down your nose at me; it's after Thanksgiving. 

 

Good news.  ManU won again this week.  That is two in a row.  Commentary on them is they are winning, but look bad doing it.  Not great.  Texas lost their last home game of the season pathetically to Iowa State on Friday.  I just ignored it so that I would not be grouchy.  Dumb Texas.  Your team is not playing.  I think they have one more game.  It looks like they will not get even a chance to play in the big bowls though.  They are ranked pretty low with no real chance to change that.

 

It was great to hear that you have a new solid person to teach.  I love getting people who keep commitments.  If you keep working hard, the Lord will provide for people.  Maybe not as many as we would like, but he will provide.  Keep up the good work.

 

Not too much going on here.  We are still having in-person church, though it is surprising.    Covid is nuts around here right now.  We are hiding from people but the kids will go to school.  The germ magnets will probably bring the crud home to us. 

 

I better go.  Your mom wants me to put boxes back in the garage.  It is also getting late.  Sorry for the no news email, but “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit.”  Or you throw a fit and I don’t know about it because you are in NY and I am in ID.  Sorry, nothing I can do about that!

 

I love you.  Have a great week.  Baptize the heck out of them.


Love, Dad

Comments

Popular Posts