Saving Private Johnson

HELLO FRIENDS! We are back again with another amazing week in the streets of the one and only NEW YORK CITY! 

In between the last time I talked to you all and now, much has happened. I gave a training to the entire mission, found out that Sis Johnson and I might begin teaching the United Nations ambassador of Honduras, and so many other miracles. Yes, New York never ceases to amaze me--so let's jump on in.

Funny story first.

Sister Johnson and I have a problem with running late. I know..., we need to work on that. But this week we were running late again and we only had about 10 minutes to get to the church when it usually takes about 15-20. We ran all the way to the subway station and down the stairs when we realized that the train was about to leave. I swiped my card and ran aboard the train. And that was when my heart dropped a little. I looked behind me and noticed that Sister Johnson was not as close behind me as I thought and her card wasn't working. Right as I saw this scene unfold in front of me, the doors started closing. I was not about to be the worst trainer in the history of ever, and so in a panic, I stuck my whole hecking leg in between the closing doors. Yeah, that hurt. But the moral of the story is that I SAVED THE DAY AND SIS JOHNSON MADE IT ON BOARD.

Like I said, I did a training for the whole mission! That was one of the most stressful 10 minutes of my life. I had made a little PowerPoint but then zoom decided to be the worst and I couldn't share my screen for a whole minute. My heart was beating like a million miles per hour and I muttered an "oh joy" in front of the whole mission. YUPS. But we got it figured out! I talked about how we can better use our personal pages on FB to find people to teach! I have been using mine pretty consistently with "daily dose of happiness" as well as our new "thankful thoughts"!! So that was good. I'm grateful I was chosen to teach about something I am learning a lot about. 

This whole week, Sister Johnson and I were working really hard to find people to teach and it was honestly so frustrating because we couldn't. We gave out referrals after referrals for other areas, but no one was actually in our area. I was a little discouraged as Friday rolled around and we hadn't found anyone yet! But, despite being discouraged, we continued to work really hard and Saturday we saw some huge miracles. We were calling some formers when we had the thought to call this girl named Natassia. She picked up the phone and opened up to us that her grandpa had actually passed away this week and she was really devastated about it. We were able to pray with her and the Spirit was so strong. We set up a lesson for TONIGHT, so I am really excited about that. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have that families are forever, and I can't wait to share more of that with her.

That same night, Sis Johnson had the coolest inspiration to reach out to a media referral that we had reached out to several times but never made contact. I am not going to lie, I didn't think much would come of it since we had already reached out so many times. But we sent a quick text, asking him how he was doing and BOOM. He immediately responded asking us if he could come to church! That was the biggest miracle ever. Roger ended up coming to church and we were able to start teaching him. He has been through so much in his life but he still believes in God and knows He is there. Roger is literally already a missionary in the making. In our conversation, he mentioned that he was on the bus this past week and a woman dropped all of her money. He quickly tried to help her gather it. She then told him that she thought he was going to run away with her money! Roger explained that he would never do such a thing. The woman then opened up to Roger and explained that she felt like the world has been so harsh and cruel that she didn't even know if God was here anymore, and if He was, then why wasn't He fixing anything. As Roger told us this story, His eyes filled up with tears. He then shared what he said next: "Ma'am, He has always been there. He is here just as He was as His Son hung on the cross. He doesn't always take away our pain, but He is here, I promise you that." The Spirit was so strong and I felt it confirm exactly what Roger was saying as truth. I learned so much from him yesterday, and I am really grateful that we have the opportunity to continue teaching such a devoted disciple of Christ.

There were so many other miracles, but these were just a few. I have seen this week more than ever, that if we give our all to the Lord, He will multiply those efforts. He will make us more than enough. If I could just ask you to add a few of our friends to your prayers, that would be so awesome. Please pray for Briana, who is praying about a baptismal date. Please pray for Sybella, that she can have the courage to tell her mom what she believes. Please pray for Roger. Please pray for Rosemary.

I truly do believe in the power of prayer. Together, we can do a lot of good.

I just wanted to share a quick spiritual thought from the week. 

I was reading a talk by Jeffrey R Holland called "The Other Prodigal." I highly recommend it. But in it, he shares a quote I love. He said, "I testify that no one of us is less treasured or cherished of God than another. I testify that He loves each of us—insecurities, anxieties, self-image, and all. He doesn’t measure our talents or our looks; He doesn’t measure our professions or our possessions. He cheers on every runner, calling out that the race is against sin, not against each other." We really are a lot more similar than we are different. We are all children of God, and each of us is beloved for who we are. We are a part of the same human family, all on the same journey back to our Heavenly Father. He loves us. He knows us. He is proud of the steps we are taking to better follow Him in our lives. Instead of needlessly comparing ourselves to those around us, we would do better to refocus on our loving Father who cheers each and every one of us on, no matter what part of the race we are at. I know that our efforts are enough, as long as you look to Him and try our best. That's all He asks of us. 

I love you all so very much! Keep on keeping on. In the words of President Nelson, "you have all been absolutely heroic! I marvel at your strength and your faith. You have shown that in difficult circumstances, you bravely carry on." YOU are doing amazing. YOU are enough. 

I know this church is true, nothing makes me happier.

Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.
Love, 
Sister Miller

Pictures:
1)The Guggenheim!!
2) Central park and my cute comp
3) Central park skyline view... yeah this is my city!!
4) This is a picture we took right after Sis Johnson made it aboard the train and my leg was the sacrifice haha. Our faces say it all.
5) WSCAH with the one and only Sis Benefield (I think I would make a fantastic lunch lady)
6) Morning run in the city :)
7) Our district being silly
8) Me in central park!


Sister Hailey Miller












Hailey,

Ok...so I went on the date. Kinda date. Idk. I’m counting it. We went rock climbing, but we paid for ourselves then we went to Freddys and paid for ourselves again. But it was still fun. Sami’s date was super awkward and didn’t say a single word to her...
😂😂 so she was kinda third-wheeling anyways. But we had a party. I’m glad I went. I think Landon might like me which is fun. Idk how I feel about him, but I’m not super awkward around him so that’s good.

School this week was hard, my teachers stink. Mostly my math teacher and culinary arts teacher. My math teacher assigned our test right after the break and on top of that, on Monday and Tuesday of the week we get back, we have to study for our test and do the assignments that she will give us.
My culinary teacher gave me an f because the assignment wouldn’t load for her. She’s like “I figured you did it, but I had to put it in as a 0” and so I was chilling with an f in her class for a solid half a day. On top of that, she told me not to stress about an assignment and then told me if I didn’t get it in, I would get another f until it got it. Whatever. I’m over it.

Mr. Miraya is finally back from Covid. Did I tell you he got it? Well, he did.
He also said to tell you hi! He asked about you in New York. I told him you were doing good, but probably about to go back into quarantine. (Which is a major bummer.) but yep. He let us use notes on our test because he wasn’t there to teach us anything which is super good, cuz I would have done terribly on the test without them. I also hand wrote all of my notes so I remembered them better. Lots of the kids in my class typed them and I would have struggled with that. But everything is online this year and it’s super weird.

That’s basically my week! Sorry, it was long today. Also, I love President Nelson’s challenge and that he prayed for us!! That was sooo cool!
I hope you had a great week! I love you bunches and I can’t wait to talk to you on Monday!!!!
Love you goodnight!!!

Your favorite,
Amber



I know. I know. I should've written sooner. But, I love you so very much, and I can't wait to tell you all the happenings of this week when we talk tomorrow. Most important--that I get to come see you in January. How cool is that!! I cry thinking about it. I am so excited! Dad and I just have to not get COVID, so everything goes without a hitch. We are praying on our end.

I gave my talk today. I think it went well. I tried and tried to have the spirit. I really wanted to present what the Lord wanted. At times, I just felt like I wasn't quite there, but by the end, I think it came together. I'm going to post my talk for you to read. I hope you like it. When I was done, I just felt so much relief. Finally...I thought. Finally, I am done. Not that I am checking things off, but kindof. 

I finished my antibiotic for CDiff. I am a little worried it is coming back. I am praying it is not. Apparently, it is hard to get rid of, and if I still have it--I either have to do some sort of poop transfer or another antibiotic. I am hoping for the antibiotic. 

I want you to know that we are so proud of you. We love you. 

The family is waiting for me to go get in the car. We are leaving for the cabin for Thanksgiving. It will just be us. My dad feels pretty disappointed that I am not going to IF. But, I feel we need to stop going until we have to go. 

Love you will all my heart, 
Mom

Here is my talk:

A few weeks ago I found myself super sick. The first week of my illness, I was sent by my doctor to the Emergency Room twice. The speed of which I was losing weight was alarming. I felt fragile and broken. I was so sick. I had been tested for COVID, which was negative, and several other things, but for a long time everyone was stumped as to what was actually happening.

 

One particularly hard day, I turned to my Heavenly Father in prayer. I started my prayer almost as a plea for my current situation to change; however, as I continued to pray, I received a different answer.


My situation was hard. Extremely hard. However, despite the difficulty, I still had a choice—I wasn’t able to choose my situation, but I most definitely could choose my response to the situation.

 

Do you remember the seminary object lesson with the rocks and the rice? When I was a teenager it helped me understand my priorities. Let me explain: Imagine an empty mason jar. Next to the jar there are two bags; one full of rocks and one full of rice. The rocks represent the everyday essential things we need to do to keep ourselves on the straight and narrow. Things like: scripture study, and prayer. The rice represents everyday distractions/tasks that seem to crowd out the most important. Not necessarily bad things, but just not as important. If you fill a mason jar first with the rice (the everyday tasks), then when you try to place the rocks (the everyday spiritual), there just isn’t room. However, if you flip the process and you first place the rocks (the everyday spiritual), then place the rice (the everyday tasks); there would be enough room for both the rocks and the rice. The rice would fill in the cracks around the rocks allowing a person to accomplish both the spiritual and the everyday tasks. I am not suggesting a time frame as to when the spiritual has to be done in one’s life, but what I am suggesting is the need to make the spiritual a priority.

Remember how Heavenly Father reminded me I could choose my response to my situation? Well, I tell you about the rocks and the rice, because I also received another impression during that heart to heart with my Father in Heaven. He said, “Carrie if you keep letting the rice come before the rocks, you are going to lose your focus.”


The rice for me was sleep. And a lot of it. I am not suggesting that Heavenly Father was upset with me because I was taking so much time resting—that is exactly what my body needed; however, what I am suggesting is that no matter how important the rice maybe—the rocks are always more important.

 

Essentially, he was reminding me to keep my focus on my Savior. Despite any challenge. I needed to do exactly as our prophet has directed—I needed to let God prevail. I needed to hear my Savior even amidst a trial.

 

Recently, I’ve been reading, Redeemer by David Butler. As I have been pondering my focus, a particular part of the book hit me, and I’d like to share the thought with you today. In 1 Nephi, we learn of the vision of the Tree of Life. We learn from that the Tree represents our Savior. The story of the Tree of Life represents each of our individual journeys towards our Savior.

Brother Butler says, “Interestingly, the group who makes it to the tree—those who hold tight to the rod, walk the path, and finally arrive—split into two separate groups. One group stays and relishes in the presence of the tree…the other group gets there and tastes the fruit, and then, hearing the mocking yells from the building … they leave in shame.”

He then says, “I have always been so puzzled by the second group. How could they walk away?? And what made the first group want to stay? What is the difference …?”

 

In 1 Nephi 8, the scriptures state—of the group that leaves—that they “cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed”; whereas, the group that stays “fell down and partook of fruit”. (1 Nephi 8: 24-25; 30)

 

When we remember that the Tree of Life represents Jesus Christ, the imagery of this experience seems extremely poignant. For one reason or another, one group found themselves ashamed; whereas, the other group fell down at Christ’s feet.


Brother Butler then says, “On the outside, these groups look almost identical. They both held on to the rod, which symbolized God’s word, and were obedient and did not leave the gospel path. They were church-going, commandment-keeping, scripture-reading people. All of them. …However, something significantly different was happening on the inside.”

 

As I read these words, again I thought about President Nelson’s words from conference to “Let God Prevail”. I felt within me the need to truly know my Savior, and to do as President Nelson admonished last spring—“hear Him”. Meaning: hear the Savior.

President Nelson taught, “Are you willing to let God prevail in your life? Are you willing to let God be the most important influence in your life? Will you allow His words, his commandments, and His covenants to influence what you do each day? Will you allow His voice to take priority over any other? Are you willing to let whatever He needs you to do take precedence over every other ambition? Are you willing to have your will swallowed up in His...?

He continues…“Now, my dear brothers and sisters, it takes both faith and courage to let God prevail. It takes persistent, rigorous spiritual work to repent and to put off the natural man through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. It takes consistent, daily effort to develop personal habits to study the gospel, to learn more about Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and to seek and respond to personal revelation.”

 

It does take faith and courage to allow God to prevail. Allowing God to prevail means that we are choosing to change our hearts to turn towards heaven. We are choosing to shift our focus from the rice to the rocks. We are choosing to not only hold to the rod, but allow our hearts to be changed in the process. We are choosing to follow the prophet.

 

Sometimes doing these things can seem overwhelming; however, as we are willing, and as we put forth the effort, God will help us. Let me illustrate with a personal experience:

The day before my oldest child left on her mission, we decided to take one last walk together. We loved walking. It was our thing. As we walked, she talked about her thoughts of leaving the following morning. She said, “Mom, I’ve been thinking about the moment when I have to walk away. I think that’s the hardest part of this whole thing—leaving my family. But, I keep thinking about the moment and telling myself that I can take one step. And if I can take one step, I can focus then on my feet moving, and then I can take more steps. I’m going to miss you guys. But, I think I’m ready to take that step.”

The next morning at the airport, it came time for Hailey to take that first step. I remembered her words from the previous day, and I bravely tried to encourage her. With one last hug, she turned and took her first step. It wasn’t easy, but she did it!

 

Isn’t that how it is in life? The first step to doing anything is always the hardest step, but once we’ve accomplished it, the next step is so much easier. We just have to take those initial steps, and as we do, Heavenly Father will bless our efforts and help us focus our path towards Him, and as we keep making the effort something happens inside of us—our hearts change.

 

We are in the middle of a global pandemic. There is great upheaval all around us. These times can feel discouraging and a little fearful. If we allow ourselves to dwell only on what is wrong, then our focus will become bleak; however, if we turn our focus to our Savior, we choose to let God prevail. It is our choice.

 

When things were a little bit bleak this past fall, one of my children decided to make a shift in her perspective. Rather than focusing on the negative things that seemed to be pressing down, she decided to instead create a magical month. She chose to focus on the good and uplifting. She created experiences that would add magic to her life. Her motivation to focus on the good changed the way we all looked at life. Her everyday experiences were enriched simply by her focus.

 

The same can be true for us. President Nelson taught, “The joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives.”

 

We aren’t always able to choose our situations, but—just like when I was sick—we do have a choice on how we will respond to our situations and where we place our focus. Youth, of our stake—right now, life can seem pretty difficult. Despite those difficulties, I challenge you to join with me to follow our prophet and allow God to prevail in our lives. It won’t always be easy, but I know it is possible. As we make room for the rocks (the spiritual matters of life), everything else will work together for our good.

All of my life, I have tried to do just that!  But, now more than ever I feel a sense of urgency to begin a new quest to know my Savior even more. I want to be in the group that really knows Him. And when I meet Him, I want to fall down at his feet. In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts