Meet Sister Johnson

Wow! Welcome back to another week my friends! I can't believe it is already Monday again. 

This week has been crazy but as you all know, I got a new companion! Her name is Sister Johnson and she is the cutest! She is from orange county California and went to BYU Hawaii before the mission! She is so awesome and I'm so glad I get to work with her! 
On another note, it has now been a week without Sister Lines and I miss the heck out of her. She is killing it in the ASL program though and I am so excited to see how she blesses their lives, as she has blessed mine. 

This week was lots of everything. As all good trainers do, *straightens imaginary tie*, I have taught Sis Johnson all my knowledge. From how to get to the church, to daily planning, to calling formers, to asking good questions, we have learned it all together. And it is the best!!

Besides that, I wanted to share a quick tender mercy we had this week. We were on our way to drop off a Book of Mormon to our friend Woody when we had to get off the subway. It was pouring rain. We got off, but in the stairs that led out of the subway had a man in the way, yelling and drinking all at the same time. I immediately felt sick to my stomach. All of a sudden, a man appeared on my left. He looked at me with a smile and said, "Hello Sister. Can I walk you out?" Warmth flooded my body. I gratefully accepted. He said, "you don't need to be scared. I'm here." And he later explained once we got to the top of the subway that he was a member. But I cannot explain the peace I felt as we walked past this man who was very drunk. It didn't matter, because I felt protected and safe by this random stranger who took the time to walk with us. 

It kind of felt like the way Jesus Christ walks with us. I honestly felt like God was talking to me through this man. What are the odds that a member of the church showed up right then at that subway station? It felt like God was reaching right into my life and reminding me that He is here. He will walk with me. There is no reason to be scared. And that made me feel peace that I can't describe.  

Besides that, WE FOUND 3 PEOPLE THIS WEEK MY FRIENDS! One of them, Rosemary, came to church and she loved it. She mentioned how she wants to understand the Book of Mormon and the Bible better. Rosemary has been investigating the church on and off for 7 years. So please pray that Rosemary will have the courage to accept the gospel, find the lasting peace it has to offer, and receive the ordinance of baptism. 

In other news, we got in contact with the Elders Quorum president this week and his first question to us was "are you getting fed?" The answer to that is a no. He was shocked. He immediately followed that up with "I'll get on that." And if that isn't a tender mercy, I don't know what is haha!! So grateful. 

For my spiritual thought this week, I just want to share my personal testimony of the Book of Mormon. My entire life I have studied this book and found answers and peace that I have not found elsewhere. One of the days this week I was feeling a little down. I opened the Book of Mormon to 2 Nephi 17. I began to read. And it had nothing to do with the words I was reading, but I immediately felt the love of God. I knew He was with me! I felt an indescribable peace. It truly is the word of God. The Book of Mormon has taught me so much about Jesus Christ and His love. It has brought me closer to the Savior of the world and deepened my love for Him. I know that Joseph Smith is and was a prophet of God because I know the Book of Mormon is true. I have felt it in my heart, mind, and soul. I love the Book of Mormon. I challenge you to read the Book of Mormon and do as Moroni pleads: to ask God if it is true. I know that if you do, you will find that answer. God wants to give His children the truth.

Well, I love you all. Please let me know what I can do for you. Who can I pray for? 

The church is true!!
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart. 
Love always,
Sister Miller 

PS: PLEASE send me something that makes you happy!! I have been doing a live on Facebook about that every day and I would love any thoughts!

PPS: please follow our Instagram page!! It is @comeuntochristnyc. And feel free to repost and share content :) 
PPPS: I have 80 million pictures because last pday, Sister Lines and I went to the edge. And it was the coolest thing ever :) okay, that's all I love you all!!

Pictures 1-4: I went to The Edge. Seriously, the coolest experience EVER!
Picture 5: Sister Johnson set up a Bible study on her own!!!
Picture 6: Sister Johnson and I in the city
Picture 7: Central Park
Picture 8: What New York is made of!!! Pizza--oh and skyscrapers.
Picture 9: Sister Johnson and I
Picture 10: We got caught in a rainstorm
Picture 11: Thank you, Alyssa!
















Hi, my sweet Hailey. I've been thinking a lot about you lately. I wanted you to know that we love your letters. Most of them bring some tears to my eyes, but I love it. Keep looking for those people who need you, and continue to work hard. I talked to Aunt Cindy today. She thinks you’re amazing. She’s having some problems with cancer.  But she is positive about it. So keep her in your prayers along with all the others that you pray for.

Grandpa brought the cows down from the ranch. They really look good and none seem to have gotten sick this time.

We went down to Utah to see Scotty’s report from his mission. He and Roxanne both talked. They did well. He loved his mission, but I think everybody does. It was nice to go to church again. They won’t let me go here because Idaho is too active on the coronavirus. They have meetings every other week, but they’ve asked the older people not to come. It really sucks. Grandpa, Layne, and Eric prepare a sacrament every week for us, which is nice. We love you! Keep up the good work!

Love you, Grandma




Sister Miller,

I was incredibly moved by the story of your friend walking you out of the Subway. It reminded me of a time on my own mission when a drunk man was screaming at me on a bus. It was my first week in the field. He even put his hand on my shoulder. I was terrified. Then this grandma walked on the bus and yelled at him, telling him to leave immediately.

I always think of that when times are hard, and I am thrilled you were able to experience something similar.

Something that makes me happy for the week? We just got midterm grades back, and I did much better than I expected. I am confident this is because I put the lord first in my life.

I am glad to hear you are well. You know this for yourself, but the light you bring to people is invaluable.

Sincerely,
Evan


Hailey Bay,
It is so fun to see you shining through and through on social media. I feel like you’re close by. I got a text from Amber Ulrich saying how much she loves your letters and your social media posts. You are sharing sunlight and goodness. Keep it up.

This week we got Jake’s results back and they were normal. Now, he is supposed to go to the neurologist. I’m sure it will be simple too. He has started ticking again. I think we need to cut back on gaming and watching TV. Plus, he is always on the computer for school. He won’t love the restrictions, but I’m not sure what else to do. I also think we need to change the way we communicate with Jake. I’m not sure why we don’t treat him “big” yet, but it’s time we do. He needs to feel on equal ground. I think we’ve always babied him that we treat him as if he is younger and I think it would be good for his emotional state to be one. Does this make sense?

Tonight was Homecoming for Amber. Salena, Deana, and I got it done. The food was delicious, the party was beautiful and the kids had tons of fun. Dad embarrassed Amber by dancing before the dance started. She says he is not able to come anymore. I think it was cute.

She was adorable tonight. So pretty. You both wore this dress beautifully. She had fun with Tyler. It was a little awkward, but I’m so glad she got to go.

Love you so much!
Love, Mom




Dear Hailey,
Last week I had no school on Monday or Tuesday. Because the teachers decided to take a sick day. I wished they did it on a different day because mom made me study for a quiz both days.

There is a boy in my class who is not nice. He makes fun of me in front of the whole class when the teacher is out of the room. Mom told me that bullies want a reaction. So, she told me not to react. It didn’t really work though.

This week is Halloween. I’m going to go to the corn maze and then we are going to come back home and eat mummy dogs. We then are going to Erickson’s house to watch a spooky movie. I’m so excited.

Love you,
Jacob




Hailey,
Lol. So you already know that I didn’t have school on Monday or Tuesday. That was a party. I got to carve pumpkins with Sami. Also this week, I got back my first essay after I revised it! I only raised my grade by 4 percent. I was only a little bitter. I talked to Galloway tho and she helped me, but I was still wildly irritated. I have gone in to talk to her every day this week. She better like seeing me😂😂. I had to get a lot of help on both my last essay and the one we are currently writing. I literally had her check EVERYTHING. She is going to know my essay before I even turn it in.

Ok. School aside, Homecoming happened this week! We went bowling for our day date and I slayed it!! I won both games. Not to pat myself on the back, but I was pretty fantastic. My friends and I are going to join the bowling team. Then the dance happened. Tyler was super awkward, but he was still fun. We had a party. After the dance, we went to Tanner Papa's house. (You know...Preston’s brother?) we changed and played games. The only problem was that I couldn’t get out of my dress😂😂. I think I spent a good ten minutes pulling and wiggling to get out. It was a party.

Last thing. This week, pole vaulting changed. They upped their prices and changed the days that I can go. On top of that, the workout days that work best for me do not include a weight workout. I have been going to the y and doing the weights set, but now I won’t have the weights set so I won’t know what to do. It’s really annoying. I wish it were easier.

That was basically my week. Sorry, I’ve had a crazy week, and I haven’t been able to email you until now. I love you so much!!! I hope you had a good week!! I love you! You are amazing!!
Love,
Amber




Hey Little Girl,

 

How are things in New York?  You still having so much fun training?  I hope things are going well.  Hopefully, you are safe and feeling well.  I heard NY’s covid cases are spiking again.  Ours is terrible.  Mom is actually not feeling well.  Of course, she is refusing to go get tested.  I think she just does not want to know.  I don’t get that, but I sure love her anyway.  Maybe she will feel better tomorrow and it will turn out to be nothing.  Her symptoms don’t really line up with covid.  Mostly bathroom problems and headaches.  Neither of those are particularly unusual for her. 

 

Good news this week.  BYU crushed some small school in football.  Texas beat Baylor (heck yeah).  And Manchester United tied with Chelsea 0-0  (could have been worse).  If you add in United beat PSG in the champions league earlier in the week, it was a pretty successful week.  We will have to ignore that BSU stomped Utah State.  That was a bummer I will hear about at work.

 

Amber got to go to a makeshift Homecoming dance Salena, Deana and Mom put on.  It was nice.  I think Amber feels a little bad that mom had to find her a date, but she seemed to have fun.  She was really pretty.  You will have to have mom show you the pictures. 

 

I found out this week that I won't be going back to the office until at least January.  It will be later than that though since I am in the last group.  I think that is fine.  I like that my commute is from the bed to the desk and I don’t leave the bedroom.  Mom still makes me work out with her every day though.  I think she is trying to kill me.  We just finished month 2 of Shaun T.  I was just as slow at the end of month 2 as I was at the start.  I am a marshmallow.  I did go to the doctor this week and he said I lost 7 pounds, so that is good.  Seven done, 33 to go.  I say this as I eat waffles.  Good luck Shaun T.

 

I have been enjoying your daily doses of happiness.  They are really uplifting.  Stay your genuine self. The gospel shines in you.  We keep praying for you to find more people in your area to teach.  I was also praying for your friends would come to church today, so hopefully, that worked out. 

 

Do you have anything fun planned for P-day today?  I mean other than talking to us.  Go play B-ball with the elders?  Not a good idea probably.  In one of my areas, the sisters usually came and hung out at the church with us on P-day.  Of course, one of those sisters ended up marrying an Elder I lived with, so like I said, maybe not the best way to focus on the work.  Go back to the edge.  That was soooo cool looking.  If your mom and I get to come to your endowment, I plan to take mom to that.  Seems pretty freaky. 

 

We are pretty much getting ready for winter around here.  I blew out the sprinklers yesterday.  I need to make Jake mow the lawn to get rid of all the leaves that are piling up, but it rained most of the day yesterday.  The kids are home school tomorrow, so maybe I will still rope Jake into it.  We have been debating what to do for Christmas.  Grandma and Grandpa are hiding from the coronavirus.  One of their friends is super sick, so they are not seeing people now.   We may not be able to go to the cabin for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  We may try to go do something.  We will see.  You should put in an order for a Christmas present.  I will see what I can do.

 

Love you lots.  Hope you are feeling confident and strong.  You are so amazing.  Keep fighting.  You are going to do even more amazing things. 


Love, Dad







Comments

Popular Posts