Next Stop: Instagram

Hey, my friends!! How are you? I would love to know. This week has been amazing, and yes--I do say it every week. 


Tuesday, Sister Lines and I got our workout clothes on and were halfway out the door when we realized it was pouring rain outside. But missionaries are resilient right? That's right. So onward we went. By the time we got to the Jaqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir, it was a downpour. It was raining so hard we couldn't see our usual friends, the skyscrapers. It was a good time haha. I'll attach a picture down below. 

We were able to reset our dear friend Anna's date this week. We brought it up to her and she said, "When's the soonest I can be baptized?" The spirit was so strong. We set her date for September 13, this Sunday. She is really facing some opposition from her family. Please pray for her this week that she will stay strong and be able to claim the blessings of baptism!!

We have been able to work with Jana a lot this week. She is getting baptized this Saturday! She is so prepared and ready. On Sunday we had an in-person church meeting, and she traveled an hour to be there. I was so amazed at her dedication and love for the gospel. She truly understands the importance of putting God first in her life. She is such a ray of sunshine in my life. I cannot wait for her to be baptized this week. :) 

Okay, DRUMROLL PLEASE!!!!!
MY COMPANION AND I ARE TESTING OUT INSTAGRAM for the mission!! Some of you have been confused as you have seen me on it, but I am learning how to share the gospel on my social media platforms! It truly is such a blessing. I'm excited to see what I can learn and share with the rest of the mission!! So cross your fingers that I will be inspired on how I can better use this amazing tool. 

On Friday of this week, I got on the Subway expecting to find the usual quiet glances and sad demeanor of people on board, only to be utterly shocked. People were laughing and sharing stories and everyone greeted us with a friendly wave. It was a miracle in and of itself to see the city slowly repair itself of the sadness that has caused so much fear among us. I felt an overwhelming feeling of joy and gratitude to serve here in the upper east side of Manhattan. God is so good, and He is here!! 

While we were on the subway that night, we had the coolest miracle. A man boarded and immediately asked us if we knew Jesus when he saw our nametags. We responded with a fervent yes. He said that he needed to find Jesus, and asked if we could help. Sister Lines and I were taken aback but quickly responded that that's exactly what we do! He shared that he had just gotten out of prison and that he was looking for light. In that moment, I had a little fear entered my heart. But it was quickly rebuked by the Spirit who reminded me in a gentle whisper that "I love this man too." I quickly sidestepped my fear and was able to get his phone number to call him this week. What an absolute miracle, and a great reminder that God loves us all. No matter where we have been. 

There have been so many miracles and touching moments, but these have been a few of my favorites. I have been reminded time and time again that God is in this work. This is not Sister Miller's work. This is His. I am grateful to be able to learn how to be a better instrument in His hands. He is slowly molding me into that instrument. I'm grateful that He has been patient with me as I have learned what I can do to be a little better each day!! 

My spiritual thought of the week is from my personal study this week! 
I was reading something that one of our current apostles Elder Uchtdorf shared with young adults. He said something that really stood out to me. He said, "Remember that if you trust in the Lord, learn of Him, have faith in Him, He will direct your path. My beloved friends, fellow travelers on the road of this great adventure of mortality, do not be discouraged. Do not give up. The future is bright! Someday, like me, you will look back on the person you are now with kindness and compassion, and you will know then that the steps you took today molded you into the wonderful person you have yet to become." I think sometimes we think about the person we want to be or how far we have to go to become "perfect" that we forget to see just how far we have come. Jesus Christ didn't sacrifice himself for perfect people, but for us. The humans. The imperfect, hurting ones. He came so that we never need to be discouraged. He came so that we can have hope in bright tomorrows no matter our past. He has come to slowly mold us into what we can be. The future is bright!! Life is meant to be enjoyed, not just endured. I know that Christ is there and that He is our biggest cheerleader. He wants nothing more than for us to succeed and to be happy. He loves us. 

I know this gospel is true. With every fiber of my being, I know that this way is the path to happiness now, and forever. 

I love you all so very much!! Thank you for your love and support and your prayers. It means the world to me. 

The church is true. 
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart. 
Love,
Sister Miller 

Oh and PS:
IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING: the New York stereotype is true. Pedestrians really do have the right of way here. If there are no cars coming, you might as well cross the street. AND pigeons really should be the New York state bird because I have never seen more than here in the city. 

Pictures/videos:
1) Wrecked by the thunderstorm 
2) My Family :)
3) Sister Lines and I preparing for a lesson!! 
4) Sister Lines and I in the sunshine of our cute apartment.
5) Doing some subway preaching ;) 








Hey Sister Miller,

 

I have an important update for you. 

 

BYU beat Navy 55-3 in football yesterday.  The stadium looked empty, which looked weird, but it was an impressive win.

 

See, I write to you lots.

 

Love you lots.




Morning, Hailey.


It is nice hearing from you.  Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Hailey, you write well - actually very well.

Question - What happened to the former prisoner you met
on the subway?

It sounds like you are happy and productive.  Enjoy the experience.

Take care,

Mike Stefanic


Hay Bay,
This week was crazy. On Thursday, I drove to Pokie and back to eat lunch with my roommates. One roommate was flying in from Tennessee. It was the first time we had seen each other in 20 years. It was nice. Long drive. But nice. Pam rode with me. We picked Jamie up on the way and then met you with Brittney. 


This week has been a huge push to prepare for today. I can’t believe it is 1 am, and I finally feel like I can go to sleep. So very tired. 🤣. Amber and I raced this morning. Super fun. Amber did well. She got 5th place overall in swimming. She did a half-mile in 16 minutes. She doesn’t think that is good but I totally do. Brooklyn ran before the event and ran a 5K in 18 minutes. Crazy fast. And I was last to race from our team. I started at a faster pace than I was used to and to be honest it almost killed me. I set my pace too fast. However, I pushed and pushed and finished the race 11 minutes faster than my fastest time. There was one road bike in the race. She beat everyone. I thought we weren’t allowed a road bike. To be honest, though, I was totally okay with it. She was trying to hurry to meet up with her daughter. It was sweet. I was then in second for most of the race until the last little while Kim Wing had been trailing me and passed me. I started drafting off of her determining I would pass her at the last second. We were pushing to the finish line. I thought it was a straight shot and she somehow knew we would have to turn into the Lowry’s house. I went straight and she turned. I slammed on my breaks and quickly turned, but she still beat me. It was ok though. I was glad about the competition and I had fun. 


One of the leaders (who I don’t know) was telling me to stop, but I thought she was waving me forward in the race. Apparently, she wanted to help me cross the road. I saw I could cross and just went. Later I was told that she had been saying how she has no idea how competitive I was until she saw me not stop. The funny thing is that I didn’t realize that is what she was saying. It’s interesting how we think we understand each other when we don’t. 


Jake’s Eagle project went well. I was so glad to be through it. He led everyone and taught them and showed them. He checked on everyone too. Instead of just making 100 cookies, he made 335 cookies. The benches are almost done. They need to be assembled, but they are almost there. We had about 20 people here helping and Jake really did lead it. So proud of him. And so glad it’s almost done!!!! 


Well, I am praying for your baptisms. We love you so much! 


Love, Mom




Wow!
This week.
Hmmm
I guess that’s all I can say😂😂.
It’s been an adventure. We all got a school computer and none of them work😂😂. I finished my first essay for Galloway. I also finished my first lab for APES. This week has been super busy. I actually am enjoying health. SURPRISE!!! I thought I would hate it, but my teacher is awesome and it makes it fun. I have a new Seminary teacher. Her name is Sister Wardell. I like her a lot. She’s super nice! This week was insane, but we get to go to school every other day next week. Yay!! I’m so glad about that. I really hope my essay goes well with Galloway. I had to mentally prepare myself to turn it in😂😂😂. Anyway, I saw Jana got baptized!!! Yay!!!! I’m so happy for you!! Hey, hope everything is going well in NYC!! Love you bunches!!!!
Amber




Hey Little Girl,

 

Let me be the first to wish you a happy P-Day!  Congrats on the baptism.  That is so exciting.  The spirit at baptisms is so strong.  It really makes you want more.  The days after I had a baptism, I could not wait to get back on the streets and find my next one.  Great work.  You helped another person make a saving covenant and there is nothing better than that.

 

I also saw your “Its gonna be good day” video.  That totally had to be your idea.  It has “Hailey” written all over it.  It was a great video though.  Very fun.  You should have worked in Sister lines falling though.  That would have sent you viral.  Though I really liked you missing the subway.  Very good.

 

I know you have probably been waiting for the important news, so I will not make you wait any more.  Texas beat UTEP 59-3.  A total smashing.  I did not watch it.  I spent all Saturday going to a triathlon and an Eagle scout project.  The scout project just about killed me, but the result look good.  My garage is again full of boards, but now they are sanded and stained.  Jake and I still have to put them together, so I am not even done.  Yeah.

 

Last week was year end at work.  I barely got sleep.  It was exhausting.  The coming week will be busy too, but not as bad.  I still have a million things going on, but I will get through it. 

 

The other big news is that last weekend I got a new desk and chair.  It is a big upgrade from the days on a card table in the garage.  The desk has a glass top, which wont work with my mouse, so I ordered a Boba Fett mouse pad.  Waaaayyyy cool.  I am sure you are jealous, so maybe I will let you look at it sometime. 

 

Well keep up the good work.  We keep praying for you.  I feel the blessings of the Lord that come from your service.  At the end of this 18 months, you will know for certain this is nothing you cannot do.  You are great and we miss you so much.  It just about kills your mom that you are gone.  Amber tries to help by doing occasional walks and the triathlon this weekend, but it is not the same.  That said, we don’t want you back (yet!).  Keep spreading the good news.  Look forward to talking to you tomorrow (or today for you since you wont read this until tomorrow for me which will be today for you)!

 

Love you tons and miss you more,

Dad

Comments

Popular Posts