Goodbye New York City, I love you.

Friends, I have dreaded this email for the past several weeks!! This is my last email as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This week, I will fly back home.

Something I've been thinking about constantly these past several days is the fact that I have witnessed miracle upon miracle out here in New York and Connecticut, and that those miracles will not cease when I go to Idaho and Utah. I have learned to trust a loving Heavenly Father here, and my trust can and will be placed in Him forever.
Sorry, the soapbox will be put away for now.

FRIENDS, this week has been incredible. Filled with the most audacious miracles of all. Let me tell you.

Two weeks ago, we knocked on this lady's door and she had no time. She gave us her number but told us to come back in two weeks. We texted her, confirmed, and came back. What happened next was right out of a general conference talk. We sat down with Danie to teach her the restoration. She nodded when we began talking about Joseph Smith's plight. "YES I KNOW," she cut in. "I tried meeting with the Jehovah's, and they are nice but it isn't right. I tried the 7th day Adventists, but that wasn't right either! Where is Christ's church?" We were delighted to explain to her the beautiful story of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. As we shared Joseph's vision, her eyes filled up with tears. We asked her how she was feeling. "Connected," came the beautifully simple, one word response. We then invited her to ponder the truths that we taught, to prayerfully read the Book of Mormon and then to ask God if these things are true. "When you come to know that these things are true, will you be baptized into Christ's church?" "YES!" came her excited response. We are so excited for Danie. Please keep her in prayer.

That was just one of the miracles.

We found our friend Felix last week and he has been telling us about his fiance. We kept inviting him to bring her to our lessons, without luck. LO AND BEHOLD, Sunday morning rolls around and in rolls Felix, his fiance, and his fiance's roommate. OH BUT WAIT, the miracles aren't over yet. At the pulpit, Bishop announced Rob's baptism. Felix's fiance turns to Sister Rasband and asks, "Can I get baptized too?"

What an exciting way to begin our Sunday. We later put Elizabeth on date for January 16th. How exciting.
 
Oh, but the stories are not over yet. Rob's baptism was this Sunday as well. I have never seen anyone so loved by a ward family. He had a crew of about 50 ward members who came to support him at his baptism. Children, teenagers, and adults alike cheering him on. I have to admit, it was one of the happiest days of my life. It was just about 3 weeks ago when we met Rob in the park, and before we knew it, he was making a special covenant with God. I am so very proud of him.

I just want to share a little of what happened so that you all can get to know my sweet friend a little better too. His mobility is not the best, and he uses a walker to get around. We knew that the baptism itself could be a struggle, so we planned on having 2 people in the font to help him through it. Unfortunately, the first several times it didn't seem to work and he didn't go all the way under. On the fourth attempt, he said wittingly, "One for each evangelist." As we attempted for the 6th time, he said, "What's the record number anyway? Maybe we can break it!" The whole group was unitedly praying for him to make it, while still chuckling at Rob's good humor. On the 7th time, Robert Clere was fully immersed and was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have never seen someone glow like Rob did. The light just flowed from his eyes. After he changed and got ready, he bore his testimony of his decision to be baptized. He humbly pulled out a picture from 1945. There was his mother, grandmother, and great aunt. He testified that he knew that all three of them had attended his baptism. He then shared that his great aunt had joined the church at some point, but he was grateful to be joining her in that legacy. It was a tender moment for all of us.

Of his baptism, a sister in my ward wrote to me, ..."I will always remember Rob's baptism... in the effort for exactness, something magical happened. I was thinking about how Heavenly Father wants us to strive for exactness, not for him/because he isn't compassionate or doesn't love us, but because the striving presents gifts for us. Because it's in the effort that so many beautiful things happen. That time in the font was so beautiful--we were all so unified in wanting Rob to succeed. I hope that whatever group he finds himself in for the rest of his life, there's always so much unity in wanting success. And watching you two was beautiful. I thought: right now, these two young people want nothing more than for some guy they met in the park to be able to succeed."

She's right. Something magical did happen at Rob's baptism, and my heart was full to the brim. I am going to miss Rob dearly. He truly is one of my best friends and a grandpa character in my life. I love Rob.

My friends, I love New York City. I love my mission. I am so grateful for all my experiences that I have been able to have. My heart is so full. I can't believe that my time is already up. This has been the best adventure of my life. I have loved every moment. I am so glad I came to serve and will continue serving all the days of my life. This has been my greatest blessing.

I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the true Church of Christ. My heart is so full of gratitude for my Savior and all that He has done for me and for my friends here in New York City and Connecticut. If I have learned anything on my mission it is that Jesus Christ lives and He loves us. His love is deep, infinite, and eternal. There is no such thing as "too far gone." His invitation is for all. "Come unto me all ye ends of the earth, buy milk and honey, without money and without price." Salvation is free. We do not need to buy it. Christ has already paid the debt that we owe. We can trust Him wholly and completely. I am so grateful for all the people I have met here. This will always be my home away from home. The Upper East Side, Lynbrook, Connecticut, Brooklyn, and the Upper West Side will have my heart forever.

I will see you all soon.

I will be giving a talk (also known as a sermon) in my church service, talking about some of these wonderful experiences on December 19th at 10:30 am. I would love to see you there. Bring your friends, grandpas, foster children, dogs, and your smelly neighbor. Let's talk about Christ and His goodness together. Afterward, we will be having a celebration at my house. YOU ARE INVITED! You are my favorite people and my biggest cheerleaders. I love you all and thank you for your goodness in supporting me not only these past 18 months but also for much of my life beforehand.

Remember, the church is true.
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.
You can always count on me.
Forever and always,
Sister Miller 
--

1-3) Rob's Baptism
4) Goodbye Tierra. I love you.
5-7) More Goodbye's. I love my New York friends.
8-13) Light the World (they are attached as google files, so they may be out of order when I send them, but you get the idea :)















Comments

Popular Posts