Start Spreading the News

 WELCOME TO NEW YORK!

WOW! What a week it has been! 
It's crazy out here in New York City but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Okay DRUMROLL!!!! I have been assigned to serve in Manhattan! Pat yourself on your back if you got it right. I'm in the very heart of New York City. I haven't been able to see much of the city yet because I'm in strict travel quarantine for another 10 days but from what I have seen—this is just such a beautiful place. 

I know many of you are wondering about what my life looks like right now! I live in East Harlem, and it is just a little party town. Although I can't leave my apartment right now, we have plenty of entertainment that walks right by our front door. This week, I saw a man jogging while juggling tennis balls. That takes serious talent! I also saw two men in wheelchairs chasing each other down the street which was quite humorous. We can't forget the motorcycle gang that rides by every night at 8 pm! They are really having a party!! Haha, life in NYC is something special. 

In other news, my trainer, Sister Lines is amazing. She's been out for 13 months and knows so so much. She's ASL speaking and is a Sister Training Leader. (Which basically means that she's the coolest person ever)!! 

Sister Lines and I have been working so hard every day. We are really trying hard to find people ready to hear our joyous message: that God is real, Jesus Christ lives, and His church is on the earth today. We have been doing all kinds of finding that you can do from your apartment. Facebook finding and area book finding. We know that as we continue in faith, we will find! 

My spiritual thought of the week is from my scripture study this week. I was reading in Alma chapter 26. This is where Ammon and his brothers are returning from their missions and are talking about how it went, and how they feel. I liked verse 37 a lot. It says, "Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy." 
I LOVE this verse. Right now, I am in a different "land" and it is easy to feel lost and maybe forgotten. But God has not forgotten me. That is against his character. In a world of so many people and so many problems, it gives me comfort to know that God is not only real, but He knows me. He hears me. He loves me. Dieter F Uchtdorf has said, "We have the faithful promise of God that He will neither forget nor forsake those who incline their hearts to Him. Have hope and faith in that promise." 
My dear friends, have hope. Have hope that God knows you. Have hope that things will get better. Have hope that all things work together for them that love God. I know He is there, and He is listening to the pleadings of our hearts. 

The church is true!! 
BE HAPPY, BE BRAVE, BE SMART!
Love,
Sister Miller 

PS: I love getting all your emails. It makes my life! Also, we got Anna on BAP DATE! We are so so pumped. :)
PPS: We aren't allowed outside right now because of the travel quarantine butttt my parents are just the coolest and sent us groceries and icecream and PIZZA! Wow I am blessed!

--
Sister Hailey Miller





Hailey,
I've been wanting to message you all day and I've been so sad that you didn't have a phone number, but then I remembered you had an email :). (Sometimes it takes me a minute.) I hope your trip was ok. I noticed you had a thunderstorm. It was so cute to see you and all the other missionaries. The Mission President and his wife look super nice! 

We had a good day here. When we got home from dropping you off at the airport, we went on a walk and watched for your plane to fly away. We think we saw it too! We watched a Delta plane fly towards Seattle. We all cheered for you. Mostly I cried :). But, I cheered too. 

Then, we went out to eat and came home to play games. I ate a few Mangos in your honor. Then, Marilyn and Lindsey came over. We just talked for two hours. Salena also sent many goodies...Crumbl, flowers, Dirty Diet Coke--she knows me so well. 

We are so excited for you. We do miss you but don't focus on that. Forget yourself and get to work! We know you've got this! We are praying and cheering you on!!! Love you tons and tons and tons.

Love, Mom


HayBay,
It looks like it is 10 am your time. Good morning, sweetheart. I’m not going to keep emailing—I promise. I don’t want to distract you, and I want you to be able to focus. I just wanted to say good morning and I love you. I hope you have a fabulous day. We love you!

Love, Mom


Hi Hailey!
Wow. I miss you a lot! But I know you're having a blast in New York! I went on my date with Wesley and it wasn’t half bad. I actually had fun! We played Chinese checkers and then played games in their pool. It was surprisingly not super awkward. Also, sister Furguson just let me know I have to make 102 cookies for girl's camp. Yikes. It’s a lot of cookies. And a lot of frosting. I tried to tell her we could do less, but she didn’t listen. Oh well. Anyways, how is New York!?!? I’m so excited for you and I pray for you every night (And mornings and at mealtimes). I love you and I miss you! I’m so excited that you are bringing people to the gospel. And I’m super proud of you! Tell me all about New York! I’m super happy for you. I’m on my way to Lake Powell right now, so I’m sending this email before your p-day. I’m sorry I’ll miss you. Hopefully, you can call us at 9:00 your time so that we can see you! Also, your HEFY group has asked that everyone pray for Riggins’ papa Jeff. He is in the ICU with corona. I figured I could pass the message to you and I’ll add him to my prayers too  I love you!! I miss you!! You are the best!!!
Goodnight tonight! Hehehehe I win🤪
Love you,
Amber


Hi, Hailey just wondering how you're doing?

Love your brother, Jacob Miller


Dear Hailey,

 

Happy Sunday.  I hope things are going great and you are able to spend time worshiping today.  Mom and Amber got invited to Lake Powell with Aunts Roxanne and Michelle.  They took off yesterday evening, so it is just Jake and I at home.  It is fine.  We ate leftover pizza, had root beer floats, and watched superhero movies.  So it has been good so far.  We will see about the rest of the week when I am trying to work and Jake is bored.  I will probably let him rot his brain with video games, once he finishes his piano practice. 

 

Jake and I are going backpacking this week.  We will see how it goes.  My ankle still hurts.  Your mom is going to kill me about it.  I am still able to do stuff though.  Your mom makes me workout with her now.  I guess that is good.  I need to get in shape.  I suppose the movies, pizza, and root beer floats from last night are not helping that.  Jake has started complaining about his leg huts too. Not sure how he became an old man like me.  The backpacking trip might kill us both.  He has a Court of Honor tonight to get awards from scout camp.  Yeah. I am ready for scouts to be done. 

 

So how are things going?  Are you able to stay busy while in quarantine?  Are you getting good at finding through Facebook?  I may break down and signup for a Facebook account so I can follow you.  Hopefully, you are not missing us, because everything is dumb and boring here.  I am jealous of you being in New York.  Jake and I watched a movie set in NY and I kept thinking how cool it was that you are in the coolest city in America.  How are you going to do laundry?  I assume you do not have two weeks of clothes.   Mom said you got the food we ordered.  I ordered from Costco and Whole Foods.  Sorry for the Whole Foods crap.  I just knew they were in NYC and I could order from Amazon.  I will try Aldi next time.  Let me know if you need anything. Send us a list and I can make another order.  Don’t tell mom I put potato chips and ice cream in the order.  Those were not approved by mom.

 

For Church today, Jake and I listened to Elder Uchtdorf’s talk about The Hobbit. The full version without Movie clips this time.  It is called “Your Gospel Adventure” from October 2019.  It is actually mostly about missionary work.  He encourages us to all be missionaries, but from the point of view of a missionary in NYC, It might really describe your gospel adventure.  You should give it a listen if you get bored.

 

Mom and Amber will probably not be able to talk tomorrow, since they are at Lake Powell.  Jake and I would love to hear from you.  I have both Google Duo and Google Hangouts as mil95031@gmail.com.  I tried to add you to a group, but I seem to be dumb.  You may have to call me.  Maybe I can add messenger.  I’ll try.

 

Not too much else is going on around here.  I work.  Jake plays.  Apparently mom and Amber play too. 

 

I am so proud of you.  You are a great missionary.  Hopefully, these first two weeks are great, but if they are just ok, survive them.  If nothing else, the world will look a little more amazing after a morning jog in Central Park. You are amazing.  You are blessing so many lives you don’t even know about.  Thank you for serving.

 

Love, Dad.


Comments

Popular Posts