Sister Miller takes on Staten Island πŸ—½πŸ—½πŸ—½

 Hello my dear friends. I'm struggling to understand how it is already October. We have Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and then BOOM 2022. Time is flying by. 


This week was one for the books. On Tuesday, I got a call from the STL's in the zone. We answered. They began to tell us that the Staten Island sisters needed help, yet the STL's  had several important meetings. They had just gotten off the phone with President Holmes and felt that the best thing they could do was to "send Sister Miller." So I packed up my things and got ready to head down to Staten Island for a week-long exchange to help the sisters find people to teach. 

I was SO excited but also nervous. I knew there was lots of work to be done, and I was eager to do it. As we drove over the Verrazzano Bridge, I felt a little fear enter my heart. I watched as we drove away from Brooklyn and towards Staten Island with great anticipation. My thoughts were coming in fast. "How am I going to be able to fix things? What should I try? How could I help the sisters? Where could I go to find people to teach?"  As we crossed the bridge I had another thought come to mind. "It's not you. It's about we." I felt humbled and so grateful to have this chastisement from the Spirit. I was ready to do the work not alone, but with the Spirit as my constant companion. 

Let me tell you my friends, we saw miracles. 
The first night, we didn't have any finding lessons scheduled. We began praying about what to do. I felt prompted that we would be able to find someone that night if we were diligent. I turned to the sisters and asked them if they had anyone we could call and teach "right now." At that moment, a man named Darrel messaged Sister Howard. We took it as our sign, and we called Darrel on Facebook and he answered!! It was a miracle. We taught the restoration and he committed to church and praying and reading. We said a prayer of gratitude. The Lord had poured out a blessing from heaven BECAUSE we believed in His power and not ours. We were ready to receive His miracles. 

The next day, we decided that although Staten doesn't have a large subway, we could try ferry-contacting. This, I was excited for. I could pin people on this big boat and teach about the Book of Mormon while gliding serenely past the Statue of Liberty. Check that off the bucket list. 
As we began contacting, we were able to see many more miracles unfold on our behalf. We got several numbers, taught a few people and handed out several Book of Mormons. On the way back, I passed a lady and decided to go talk with someone else. As soon as I passed by her, I felt the need to go back. As I began talking with Marilyn, I felt a quick and deep personal connection with her. She was clearly a dear friend of mine from before this life. As I shared about the restored gospel, she opened up and said how much she would love that. I got her number and told her I would have the missionaries reach out in her area. I'm so glad I followed the prompting of the spirit to go back and talk with my sweet friend, Marilyn. The Holy Ghost really does lead and guide us if we are patient and listen to his still, small voice. 

The rest of the week was not without miracles. We were able to find 6 people in Staten and put that first friend--Darrell-- on baptismal date for the end of October. It was incredible to witness the change in the area in just one short week. The sisters could feel it too. When we pair our will to our Father's we will see heaven pour out blessings on our behalf. This is His work, His glory. We just get to be a small part of it all, and oh how grateful I am for that. 

I came back to Brooklyn Saturday night. I'm grateful to be back. Our people need lots of love and hope. Please pray for them. 

For my spiritual thought, I wanted to share something from a talk I read today about the sacrament. My favorite thing ever. 
"Partaking of the sacrament is the next ordinance everyone needs after being confirmed a member of the Church. The sacrament is the next ordinance needed at the beginning, middle, or end of a semester at BYU. The sacrament is the next ordinance needed after triumphantly passing a test or being miserably disappointed with the result. The sacrament is the next ordinance needed after receiving the endowment or being sealed in the temple. The sacrament is the next ordinance needed after making a good choice and the next ordinance needed after making a poor choice. The sacrament is the next ordinance needed every week for the rest of our lives."

Oh how we need the sacrament each and every week. As the sacrament was passed this week, the young man passing to our row missed Sister Sadler and I. We hadn't realized until the water was being blessed. It was heartbreaking in every way. We knew we needed this ordinance to receive the Holy Ghost and the strength to keep going--even through the harder days. Tears flowed from my eyes, recognizing I had missed this precious opportunity. Luckily, Bishop took us aside and gave us the bread following the meeting. We were able to have our own personal, sacred communion with the Lord. It was needed. It is my time for healing, it is your time for healing. If you wonder if you'll ever feel okay again, partake of the sacrament. If you want to know how the Lord feels about you, partake of the sacrament. If you want to start again and be freed from the weight of sin, partake of the sacrament. It is the answer. Jesus Christ's power enters our lives as we take time to partake of the sacrament in remembrance of His marvelous sacrifice. 

I love all of you. The church is true. 
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart. 
Love,
Sister Miller 

1) ice cream on the mission zoom!! It was President's bday!! 
2) me & sista sadler 
3) the Staten sisters!
4) view from the ferry 
5) Staten Island view 
6-7) Beach!
8) fave member Sister Baptiste. Made us Alfredo, like an angel. 










Comments

Popular Posts