Another week in the promised land, aka Lynbrook

WOWOW!

Another week gone. How are you all doing? Let me know, I love getting your emails and remembering what the outside world is like haha.

This week was something else, let me tell you!! So much has happened, miracles and struggles--everything in between.

Our friend Joseph ran into anti (falsehoods about the church) and he allowed it to suffocate his faith. It was heartbreaking as we got on a call and he immediately began attacking our faith and yelling. We ended up having to end the conversation because he would not listen to a thing we said. I left that lesson saddened by what had happened to my friend Joseph, but firmer in my resolve. My dear friends, the church is true. It really is. This is Christ's church and He is at the head. We may not know all the answers, but we can lead with faith. This much I know: what we look for, we can find. If we look for reasons to have faith, we will find it. If we look for reasons to doubt, we will surely find that. Life is so much better when we choose to have faith--it is an ACTIVE choice we make. Please, keep choosing it. And please, pray for Joseph to have his heart softened to the truth.

Now that we got the sad news out of the way, we had some wonderful miracles happen this week as well. We got back in contact with Bobby and we were able to have a lesson! I teared up seeing these best friends of mine again. He has really struggled these past few weeks, but I know that your prayers and ours have been working. He wants to come to church again and he knows that this is what is best for him. I love Bobby.

Funny story of the week! We had gone to visit a less-active member this week at his house. Brother Cupen answered the door, but his head was behind the door, holding back his dog. The second that Sister Thompson and Call went inside, the door was slammed behind them and about smacked me in the face. And there I was, on the other side of the door, in the middle of a sketchy apartment building hallway. I hear the door lock on the other side and muffled laughter from my companions on the other side. Brother Cupen doesn't speak English very well and my companions were trying to say "we have another companion....trio..." in between fits of laughter. He wasn't understanding. I finally call out something dumb like: "hello??" He finally opened the door and we all went outside together to talk. It was so funny. Brother Cupen is actually way cool and barely escaped a kidnapping back in Peru, and made it to America where he found the gospel. When we talked to him, he told us that it was a miracle we came. He was ready to take the next step and prepare to go to the temple. We were over the moon. God is in the details, and we love Brother Cupen.

Later Saturday night, we got a media referral and we immediately called Wendy. On the phone, she said that she was available for a bible study RIGHT NOW. So, we said--"let's do it." We hop on a zoom and she begins to tell us her story. We introduced the Book of Mormon to her and she was immediately interested. But here is the real magic. I felt like we needed to invite her to church. As I began sharing about church and our opportunity to partake of the sacrament, she cut me off. "Wait, like communion?" she asked. "Yes," came our reply. She teared up and said that the night before, she had had a dream that she finally was allowed to partake of communion and it made her feel whole--but she was confused because she wasn't a Catholic and knew that she wasn't allowed to take communion unless she was a Catholic. When we told her that she would have the opportunity to take the sacrament at our church service, she immediately accepted and invited her sister to join her as well. The miracle doesn't stop there!! She came to church and absolutely loved it. She cried throughout the meeting and said afterward that "it just felt so familiar to my soul. How can I become a member?" Stay tuned this week as we invite Wendy to be baptized. We are so happy for her. 

Quick updates/miracles: 
-Giancarlo finished paying off his student loans by some miracle and said he is ready to pay tithing and wants to prepare for baptism. We are so excited for him.
-It's my birthday this week and I'm very, very excited. 
-We made a missionary parody of Party in the USA called "The restoration," let me know if you wanna hear the best rendition ever ;)
-IT HAS BEEN THUNDER-STORMING AND THEN SO HOT EVERY DAY. I AM TERRIFIED FOR HOW HOT AUGUST IS GONNA BE. 
-We had our last MLC with President and Sister Teuscher. I love them and will miss them so much. They are my family. 

Honestly, Lynbrook is the promised land. I love these people. It hurts my heart to know that I'll be leaving soon. This is my place, this is my people. I never knew I could love so darn much. 

For my spiritual thought, I wanted to share a quote from William Jennings Bryan in his novel "The Prince of Peace." He said, "Jesus gave a new definition of love. His love was as wide as the sea; its limits were so far-flung that even an enemy could not travel beyond its bounds." Jesus Christ's love is infinite. I do not understand it, but I am beyond grateful for it. We can never pass out of the reach of His divine love. It is there for us always. Whenever we are ready, His arms are outstretched. He loves us as we are, but will always invite us to change--because He loves us. He will stretch us, as a good tutor would. He will mentor us, and give us opportunities to grow. But He will also rescue us, whenever we need Him--He will be there. 

PS if you ever feel bruised and broken, read Mosiah 15:30. Jesus makes the waste places fruitful. The dumps, the downtrodden, the ugly. He can make it beautiful. He always has, He always will. We are not the exception, we are the rule. He will fix all the brokenness. 

I love this gospel, and I know it's true. 
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.
Love always,
Sister Miller 

Pictures of this week:
(Lots of trios, and some beautiful sunsets.)












Comments

Popular Posts