In the Details

HEY HEY HEY WORLD!! Happy almost Christmas!! I'm in the most magical city at the most magical time of the year. It is amazing to be here and I love every second. 


This week was wild. I can't get over how wild it was! 

First with a funny moment:
Sis Johnson and I are bestest friends at this point and honestly, we think in sync. I know that sounds weird but here's an example. We are walking down the hallway and Sister Johnson is 5 feet behind me. All of a sudden I say "I dare you to ninja roll down the hallway" and I turn and see that she is already running down the hallway in the attempt to do JUST THAT. We literally died from laughing so hard. It was the best moment ever. 

This week was good but also trying for Sister Johnson. Thursday morning, she woke up in the most unbearable pain. She felt like her stomach was getting stabbed over and over again. The pain continually increased and so we decided to take her to the emergency room. Sister Johnson and I spent all of Thursday in the ER. It was so hard watching her struggle in pain and feel so awful. She was a champ. They filled her full of meds, so the poor girl doesn't even remember what happened on Thursday!! She has been so determined to be the best missionary she can be, and while still in the ER she says, "Let's just call all our friends from the hospital. I'll do my best!!" Needless to say, we didn't do that and just rescheduled our lessons. Please pray for Sister Johnson as she continues to do her best with kidney stones. She's an absolute champ!! 

Besides that, we had several cool miracles this week. Both Briana and Nashaly came to church and loved it. Afterward, there was a wreath making activity and they both made wreaths to give away to their friends. They are the cutest people and we love them. Briana is approaching baptism with a little hesitation, but both Sister Johnson and I feel strongly that she is ready. Please pray for her to have the courage she needs!! 

Also, I can't help but mention the miracle of our good friend Louisa!! We went on area book this week and there was a note telling us to follow up with Louisa, who had been taught 6 months ago. Sister Johnson and I gave her a call and she was so willing to meet! When we talked with her for the first time, we talked to her about our purpose and how we help others find hope. She loved it and said that it was exactly what she needed. In that moment, we felt prompted to tell her that as she felt of the truth of the gospel that she would want to be baptized. In response, she quickly said, "Anything for Jesus. Would that make Jesus happy?" To which we quickly responded that it would. We love Louisa and are so happy to work with her. 

If there's anything I've learned this week it is that God is in the details of our lives. Sometimes He doesn't come and shake us by the shoulders to speak to us if He can help us with something as small as a text from a loved one, or a smile from a stranger. I have learned that rather than being distant, our Heavenly Father is actually quite near & in the very details of our lives. 

Please keep your prayers coming. They work miracles each and every day. I love you all WITH MY WHOLE HEART. 

This week I was reading a talk by Jeffrey R Holland and this quote really stuck out to me: "This Easter I thank Him and the Father, who gave Him to us, that Jesus still stands triumphant over death, although He stands on wounded feet. This Easter I thank Him and the Father, who gave Him to us, that He still extends unending grace, although He extends it with pierced palms and scarred wrists." 

I love the Savior with my whole soul. I know He is not only real and that He lived, but He lives still. He is aware of us. And just as He called a young Joseph Smith by name, He knows my name. He hears my cries. He listens to the pleadings of my heart and He cries with me. In the words of a favorite hymn of mine, "He lives to silence all my fears. He lives to wipe away my tears." He really does live to do all of those things. He is not only the babe in the manger but the King of all the world. He is the reason for the season. 

As always, the church is true. 
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart. 
Love,
Sister Miller 

P.S. I have been working on a video for quite some time. I am excited that it is being shared on Facebook this week. I am going to attach the link, but if it doesn't work, go check out the Manhatten Facebook page. 


Sister Hailey Miller

1) Nashaly
2) Us Again 
3) Sis Johnson
4) Light the WORLD
5) Call your momma!! I did ;)
6) Williamsburgggg









Hailey,
I think with the crazy of everything I almost forgot I hadn’t written you this week. I would’ve felt terrible. I am not going to miss a week. I promise.

We’ve been in Hawaii for a few days now. We’ve been trying so hard to help Ava feel connected and loved, and to be honest—it’s a bit hard. She definitely has a shell. She’s been through some tough stuff. Not sure what, but you can just tell. She’s not a Debbie Downer in that she’s not willing to do anything. She’ll do most things, but she doesn’t necessarily seem happy about it. We’ve put a ton of energy into trying to make it fun and exciting. She barely smiles. She’s just existing. Literally, just here. It’s hard to bring the spirit of anything when it feels like the spirit is being extinguished.

Yesterday, Jake said he felt like he was being teased. I don’t see it honestly. But, I think the dynamic change is different for him and none of us are used to it. I think he’s just trying to find his place once again.

Today, I think I’m going to stop focusing on Ava and focus on Jake. I’m going to hope our “us” rubs off a bit and I’m going to make this the best Christmas for my own two kids. I don’t know what else to do. It honestly stresses me out. I really do want this to be perfect. I’m still trying to have faith that there is a purpose to our taking Ava. For Grandma asking us to do so.

Ava and I had a conversation while waiting for the others one day. She said her friends are good people making bad choices but that she is resilient to bad choices so it’s okay. My heart broke. I didn’t get to tell her that that really wasn’t ok. I wasn’t sure what to say. Hopefully, sometime along the way, we can have another talk.

I talked to your friend Tierra. I hope I helped. I talked to her about tithing and the blessings of it. How it is a principle of faith and that when God asks us to do something hard (even the poor) He blesses us way more than we could have done on our own. If we trust Him, He truly will open the windows of heaven.  It’s a matter of faith. Not a matter of exclusion. We have to trust in the Lord The prophets have promised that the law of tithing can do more for the poor than they can do without it. I also talk to her about being in the church for a long time and what it offers me. How I sent my daughter on a mission and why. The differences between trials with God and trials without God. I think it was a good conversation. I hope it helped. I told her to change her perspective about tithing. To pray to see that God can provide.

Well, I love you. Pray that we figure ourselves out with Ava. Pray that God provides His miracles. This is so hard. So very hard. I want to believe and to trust. I really do.

Love you,
Mom






Comments

Popular Posts