Meet the Spirit. My Constant Companion

This week has been absolutely crazy. But, I say that every week. I feel so blessed, so cared for, and so well known by God. 

Last Monday, I was trying to figure out who we should contact when a random name popped into my head. Call Herny. Herny was a referral from the Bronx that we had reached out to several times but could not get in contact with. We immediately decided to act on that prompting. We called Herny and it was like magic: she answered. We set up a lesson for the following day. 

When we had that lesson, the Spirit was so strong. She opened up to us and I realized just how important it was that we called her. It was at that moment that Herny stopped us. She said, "Yesterday you guys called me," we paused, waiting for her to go on, "Right before that, I was praying and asking God which church I should join. Right then, I got a call from you all. Kinda weird right?" Sister Johnson and I just gaped at her. I tried to find words but stumbled over them quite awfully. I somehow stammered out: "That..is your answer!" And she agreed.

As you can imagine, we had a lesson with Herny later in the week and the Spirit was as strong as before. I don't feel like the Spirit has ever slapped me before, but it has given me some very understandable nudges in the right direction. Something like: "Sister Miller, I am about to tell you what to say. You can do it." And so, the Spirit led me right on into a baptismal invite. To which Herny gratefully accepted with a huge smile on her face. I am so excited to help Herny prepare for baptism on December the 13th. Please pray for her as she continues to follow Christ!

I know what you are thinking at this point. That was a huge miracle. And I can't help but agree. So, I just know you are going to be blown away by this next one!! 

We got a media referral this week, which never really happens. So, Sis Johnson and I immediately called!! A small voice answered the phone. We began a normal conversation explaining that we would love to meet and talk together about God and our purpose here on earth. She said she would love that but asked us if she could ask her mom if it was okay. Come to find out that our cute little media referral is a 12-year-old girl named Emma. She is darling. Her mom said yes, and we are now meeting with cute Emma. She has only heard the name of Jesus Christ in passing and she is dying to know more about him. We feel so special to be able to work with such a sweet soul. Emma came to church on Sunday, and all the young women welcomed her with open arms. I was amazed at how quickly they invited her to mutual and to any other activity they were already hosting. They told Emma that young women's was her new home. If that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is. We love Emma.

I could go on and on and on about all the miracles we saw this week, but those were just a few of my favorites. God is so good. The people of New York are so good. I just feel so blessed to be serving here in the greatest city in the world. 

Another quick tender mercy!! I got to go on exchanges this week with the one and only Sister Lines. How wonderful it was to catch up a little, and be with one of my best friends. She is teaching up a storm in the ASL program. They are so lucky to have her! AND...it is her birthday today. So, I know you are reading this Sister Lines, so here is your special happy birthday shoutout. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I LOVE YOU!

I just wanted to share a quick spiritual thought from the week. I was reading a talk this week by Joseph B Wirthlin. The talk is entitled: "Come What May and Love It". I love this talk. It helps me see my own trials through a different lens, the lens of God. He shared something towards the end that I love. He said, "The simple secret is this: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him." I love this quote. I often feel like I try and control things far outside my control. It has never led to an increase in my happiness. I love what he reminds us to do. Give our all and then trust. How simple life would be if we just let go and let God in more? I love that quote. God really is there. He is ready to take care of every little thing that we struggle to carry alone. He wants to take it, we just have to let Him.

I love this gospel. It makes me happy, even on hard days. If you don't see that happiness yet, keep trying. God is good and He does hear and answer our prayers.

The church is true!!
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart!!
Love,
Sister Miller

Pictures:
1) Us and the one and only empire state building :)
2) Me and my temple
3) Me and my temple part 2
4) The subway--I thought this shot was kinda cool. Here is a glimpse of NYC life. You're welcome.
5) Sis Lines and I with donuts
6) My magical city
7) Sis Johnson and I :)













I know I said I would email you earlier in the week but...well... I guess I failed again. I made a cute pumpkin that says I heart New York and I thought of you. Also. Spencer texted me this week! He asked me if I had any Halloween plans. At the time, I was rock climbing at his gym and I told him you should join us. Long story short, I basically invited him to do everything I was doing that day (but he was helping his grandpa) and then at night, I was going to a party so I told him to come. Lol he said he might but didn’t show up. Then he texted me this morning and said that he ended up having plans and then we talked about rock climbing. So...awkotaco😂😂. I survived Halloween night. This week has been weird. Mom has been sick all week, she had a colonoscopy on Tuesday. We can tell you all about it on Monday. She’s doing a lot better now. She just had a tummy ache and some gross stuff coming from her body. As I mentioned, I went rock climbing at Vertical View and it was AWESOME!!! I had a party!! I’m going to Pinners conference next week so that’ll be a party! Sami is coming too because Roxanne needed more people to work. Anyways! I love you bunches!!!
You are the coooooolest missionary I know!!
Love you!
Amber




Hello Miss Hailey,

I’m going to share the details of my week, but you have to choose to not cry or be upset or worry. There is no need. Truly, I’m going to be just fine  

I’ve had a week. The beginning of the week seemed so hard, and the end was just as hard, but I learned a lot about relying on Heavenly Father. I realized I could choose to look on the bright side and see God’s hand or I could tune into my pain. Happiness is truly what you allow your focus to be. As I focused on the good, and my Savior, I could feel Him more readily around me. 

On Tuesday, our doctor sent me to the ER. They couldn’t find anything and I was sent home again to wait it out. They said to come back in two days. In two days, I called our doctor again, and once again I was sent to the ER. As I lay on the bed at the hospital, tears poured down my cheeks as I prayed to God that they would find what was causing me to use the restroom so readily. The doctor came in, and announced once again—“it’s just a bad case of diarrhea”. This time they had done a CatScan. I felt bad to have spent money for nothing. 

Two hours later, as I sat by the fireplace—heat seemed to help my stomach—the ER doctor called and apologized for missing something on the CatScan. He said they found that my colon was swollen and that I needed to be seen by our gastro doctor. 

The next morning, I called the gastro doctor. They told me they wouldn’t be able to help me until Monday or Tuesday. Crying in desperation I begged for a sooner time; she stopped her explanation and put me on hold. When she came back on the line, she said they’d see me if I could come right now. Dad and I went as quickly as we could. 

I have a colonoscopy on Tuesday. I hope I have some answers then. I’m tired. I’ve lost a TON of weight. I wish I could make some funny joke, but to be honest—this isn’t the way someone should lose weight. Eating one meal a day is about all I can handle and even then—it always comes with a reward. 

One night was particularly hard. This is what I wrote as I lay in bed:

October 30, 2020


It’s 4:30 in the morning. I just had another episode of pain. If I could rank my pain on a scale of 1-10, I’d rank it an 8. I guess I am grateful it’s not a 10. As I lay in bed, trying to go back to sleep, I thought I should take a moment to journal. Maybe by journaling, I will be inspired. I am grateful for my family, my husband, and my religion. I am grateful that my Heavenly Father has blessed me. Those blessings are always there. They are constant. Some may argue that in the midst of this trial, how could I possibly see God’s hand? But, the thing is—I choose to. If I want to see the pain, the doctors, the tears; if my focus is solely on that, then that is what will remain, but by seeking God, by praying, reading His word, and relying on His promises—my trials no longer seem dark, but instead there is a bright light of hope shining through my pain. How could I not see God’s hand when His love is so readily available? And when His peace holds me together. I will praise Him and thank Him forever. 


This month started with pain in my tooth. I found out I had a tooth abscess that literally found me debilitated. My pain was excruciating. I found myself on my knees, asking for a priesthood blessing, and trusting all would be well. I was so relieved to receive medicine to alleviate my pain. A week later, my son started twitching. Screen time and the back and forth schedule of school was overloading his senses. I found myself again on my knees, asking for a priesthood blessing, and trusting all would be well. This last week, I become very sick with a different kind of ailment. My stomach pains had reached my max and I’ve laid curled up in a ball on the floor crying for relief. I have lost 6 pounds. I have been to the ER twice. No one is sure of what is going on. That needed medicines for my tooth, at this moment, is thought to possibly play a role. But, to be honest, we don’t know. 


I lay here, at 4:30 in the morning tempted to feel a sense of woe at the month we have endured, tempted to ask, “why me?” or “will it ever stop?” I’m tired of reliving this month in my own head, I worry about the burden I am on my friends. And as I ponder this, I could feel weak, but when I turn to my God and my faith builds within my heart and I know my faith is greater, my God is bigger. I again find myself on my knees, asking for a priesthood blessing, and trusting all would be well. I can feel my God cheering me on. I do not need to wallow in self-pity. I can hold my head high and trust. He will take care of us. He is the answer to the remedy of my pain. He speaks peace to my heart. He lifts me in my chaos. Knowing I have a God in Heaven that loves me makes it possible for me to endure—even if that means that my pain never goes away. Even if that means that I do not find answers. Even through these struggles!!!!! My God is bigger than them all. He loves me. I know it. And He is carrying me. I will praise Him forever. 


Journaling really did inspire me. All is well. All is well. 


God is with us. He really is. All will be well. It will. 


Love you!


 

Comments

Popular Posts