The Altar

WOW welcome back to another fantastic week my friends!

This week was so great, but I say that every week. Today marks the ending of my very first transfer. CRAZY RIGHT? I can't believe I have been out here in New York City for 6 weeks. Sister Lines and I will be staying here in Manhattan!

There were so many amazing miracles that happened this week so let's just jump right on in! 

This week I got to go to Chinatown, for the last time (because Chinatown is no longer apart of my zone). Sister Benefield, Sister Wu, and I were holding down the fort in Chinatown while all the Sister Training Leaders took care of the East Side. While I was in Chinatown, we had a really cool experience. We had most of our lessons in Mandarin, but one of them was in English!! We taught May, who is so amazing. She is really struggling with some addictions right now, and she wants to quit! We talked to her about how Jesus Christ understands even addictions. He knows the struggle, and only He can help her overcome. As we discussed this with her, the Spirit entered and filled the room. In this moment, Sister Benefield was led to give a powerful promise. She said: "May, I promise you that every time you face the temptation to succumb to this habit if you read one verse of the Book of Mormon, you will be able to withstand. You will be able to have the strength of Jesus Christ on your side, and you will be able to quit." I sat in profound silence. I knew that what Sister Benefield had just promised was unequivocally true for May. I knew that Jesus Christ was aware of May and her struggle, and was there alongside her to face the coming days as she attempts to quit. I know the same is true for all of us. We may not be facing temptation or addiction, but Jesus Christ understands us and our problems perfectly. There is no pain or sorrow we will come across in life that Christ has not already shouldered. We can lay down our burdens at His feet and receive peace that cannot come in any other way. 

This week, we were challenged by our mission president to talk more about the Holy Ghost and to learn more about it. As I have followed this instruction, we have received so many miracles. One of them is with our new friend, Shyla. We had a lesson with Shyla this week and we felt prompted to bring up the Holy Ghost. We shared with her about the blessings that come from the Holy Ghost: peace, comfort, direction, guidance, hope, love, and patience. We talked about how the Gift of the Holy Ghost is received after baptism, and how we are able to have a lifelong friend who will be with us ALWAYS. As we told Shyla of this truth, her eyes lit up with excitement. Before we even said the words, "Would you like to follow Jesus Christ and be baptized?", she was asking us to be baptized to receive this gift! We were amazed and reminded of what a gift the Holy Ghost really is in our lives. We are so excited to help Shyla progress and learn more about Jesus Christ as she works towards baptism! She is amazing. 

One of the focuses of the Sisters in Manhattan has been complete submission to the Lord. We have been working on trusting Him in everything we do, and truly laying aside our will. This week, we had President Teuscher speak to us on this very topic. President shared a quote from Jeffrey R Holland that really stood out to me. It says, “We must be willing to place all that we have--not just our possessions (they may be the easiest things of all to give up), but also our ambition and pride and stubbornness and vanity--we must place it all on the altar of God, kneel there in silent submission, and willingly walk away.” This really made me think about my life in a different way. What things was I unable or unwilling to give up? What part of my heart needed a little push to give way? When Jesus Christ asked his disciples to "Come, follow me," He was asking them to turn away from their past life and become like Him. He was asking them to lay aside their desires and choose His way. I want to be like His disciples and be quick to leave my nets. I want to be quick to lay my desires on the altar, and quick to turn to God. Because that is exactly what Christ did. I am going to continue working on putting my pride, stubbornness, and vanity on the altar of God.

There were so many other miracles this week, I can't even number them. Thank you all for your prayers and continual love. It has made the difference, I know it. If I could beg for a few more of your prayers, I know that it would help our sweet friends so much! Please pray for Anna and her family. We are still working with her to be able to be baptized. Please pray for Zoila and Ramy to have the courage to pray. Please pray for Shyla as she continues to progress towards baptism. Thank you.

Last, I just wanted to share one final miracle. 
We got a referral from the Carolina's this week! They were teaching our friend Jana, who is so amazing. She has so much desire to follow Jesus Christ and wants nothing more than to do as He did! She is such a ray of sunshine. We had our first lesson with her this past week and she wants to be baptized on September 12. Yes, 12 days away. She is so amazing. Please pray for her to withstand the forces of Satan who will surely do all he can to keep her from making this commitment with God. We are so grateful to be able to teach Jana and help her as she makes her journey to know God more. God is so good my friends. He is so good.

I love you ALL! Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you because I am here! 

As always,
The church is true.
Be happy. Be brave. Be smart.
Love,
Sister Miller

Pictures:
1) My cute family
2) MANHATTAN DISTRICT LINE UP
3) My first marriage proposal from a random guy on FB. Don't worry mom I turned him down graciously.
4) A DELISH ICE CREAM PLACE IN CHINATOWN
5) Sis Lines and I loving the scriptures
6) A silly one for fun :)









Hailey Bay, 
I love these experiences, sweet girl. You are a great writer. As you write, you connect people with you. I also love that you add what you are learning. It makes the experiences real. You are doing amazing things and touching so many lives.

Love, Mom


Just reread your letter love them they Lift me up.
We are still harvesting grain and have had some problems with the combines breaking down. They are as old as I am some days. I feel like I’m breaking down too. We are still all healthy and doing well. Your sweet mom calls almost every day to see if I’m sick yet. She is so worried about me. I love her for that. Grandpa needs me to go to the store and get him some Mucinex or something that will help his stuffiness from working in the Grain all day. Our little chickens are doing great. They give us an egg each day. It’s hard to eat 21 eggs each day and so I give them to the neighbors. Please stay safe. I watch the news in New York City. It scares me there’s so much going on there. Be careful, be aware, and pray often. I know I don’t have to tell you to pray but I want you to know there’s a prayer in our heart each day for you and we love you and are so proud of you. Did you get the pictures of Ty and Brenda's new baby girl? She is beautiful. Love ðŸ’• Gramma and Gramps

Hailey,
You are my hero missionary! I felt the spirit so much when I read the part where you were in the hospital! Thank you for sharing that with me. I love you and am praying my heart out for you Hailey. Love, Katie Green

Hey Hailey!

This week has been pretty good! My desk is almost done! I start school on Tuesday and I’m super stressed. Mrs. Tucker’s class sounds impossible. And I don’t have any textbooks yet so... oh well I’m sure it will make sense eventually. Mom told me that you were supposed to find things on the spirit. I was watching something with grandpa and I saw something that I hadn’t before. It’s in Helaman 16:2 it says “But as many as there were who did not believe in the words of Samuel were angry with him; they cast stones at him upon the wall, and also many shot arrows at him as he stood upon the wall; but the Spirit of the Lord was with him, insomuch that they could not hit him with their stones neither with their arrows.“

I thought this was cool because it says that the spirit was with him so he was protected. I just think that it’s amazing what the spirit can do. Anyways. You probably already knew that but here it is anyway! How are Ana, Zoila, and Rammy doing? Have you heard anything from Jon? I love you!! Have a party!

Love,

Amber

HayBay,

We are at the cabin for Labor Day. I’m trying to decide if I should go home or if we can talk to you okay on Monday. Dad has to work, so he will be going home. The rest of us thought we might stay here. I feel a need to go when dad goes. I can’t seem to relax and play if he heads out. I think I will be outvoted. I think we will stay at least for a bit. Grandma and Grandpa are here.

The kids went swimming but I had already laid down for a nap. I am now walking the farm trying to find them. They didn’t leave a 4-wheeler. Perhaps, I should’ve just stayed and waited at the cabin. But, I wanted to play too. I just didn’t have the energy when they were ready to go. It’s hard work to play.

I sent you a package on Tuesday. It said it wouldn’t arrive until next Wednesday though. I’ve learned never to send things through UPS. It was so much faster through the postal service. And probably cheaper. I did forget to our fajita mix in your package though, so you may want to grab some at the store. I do love the convenience of you serving in the US. Packages seem to be easier.

I’ve been studying a lot and a lot on the spirit this week. I think about you when I do. I’ve almost finished the book I am reading. And I’ve gone back to read the talks from President Nelson and some other things. I am learning a lot. I’m tempted to send you something I’m reading now. It is from RB and super long but it has some value.

This week I have missed you more than usual. Don’t get me wrong—I miss you always, but I have has more occasions this week. You would think I’d be emailing you more then, right? (My goal is at least once a week.)
I learned something this week. I need to keep my thoughts in good places. Not that they weren’t, but the old saying that thoughts determine action goes with our emotions too. If we focus on the good, then we can help keep our thoughts on the good. That doesn’t mean we won’t have moments.

I’m trying to think what happened this week of note, but I can’t really remember. That’s not a good sign. On the way to the cabin, Amber had her feet on the window of the car. She moved her position and the window cracked under her feet. She feels really bad. It will all work out. 

Love you, Mom


Hey Little Girl,

 

I just watched your video proclaiming repentance to the empty subway.  It was hilarious.  Well done.

 

I just worked on Labor day.  Did not feel like I got much done.  It is year-end and I am super busy.  I will be crazy for the next couple of days.  Hopefully, it will calm down after that.  Work is a little stressful right now and we have lots going on at home.  Mom wants to do fun stuff and Jake’s Eagle project is on Saturday.  The garage is so full of crap it thinks it will burst.  I am going to go crazy. 

 

We did make it to Featherville on Saturday.  I worked until 3 am on Friday night.  I jumped into the swimming hole with my phone in my pocket.  The waterproof thing is apparently true.  It still works.  We had some fun and relaxed on Sunday.  Just your regular cabin trip.

 

The kids start school tomorrow online.  I assume that will be the norm this year.  We supposedly get to have in-person church next week.  That will be weird.  It will be really weird when I come in my socks and expect half a slice a bread for the Sacrament.  Should be fun to see people.  I have not seen many people in weeks, and when I did, I didn’t like it. 

 

Good luck with the baptisms this week.  I will be praying for you and them.  I pray every night for you to be successful and that you will find new people to teach.  You will be great. 

 

Love you tons. 


Comments

Popular Posts